Performance is terrible for my hardware. Any help figuring what I screwed up would be much appreciated!

Ken_Pen

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
Desktop PC running Windows 10 Home edition.

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
CPU: Intel i7 6700K
GPU: GTX 1080 FE
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Hard drive: 120GB Kingston SSD UV400

So there's a small back story. The computer was running fine and within relatively acceptable performance levels. Using benchmarking software such as 3d Mark I was getting scores in the ballpark of other people with similar hardware. With Firestrike 1.1 I was scoring about 17,500 which was pretty much the median score so I was satisfied.

My problem however, was the the fans were way too aggressive. I didn't mind them revving up under load but they would rev from 10% to 100% spontaneously while doing simple tasks like using google Chrome. I wanted to find a way to keep the fans from randomly going insane during light use like web browsing.

So I thought the most simple solution would be to use the fan controller software that came with my ASUS motherboard. I read that people really liked it for the most part so I gave it a try. The software is called AI Suite 3 and it is one of the "Auto Tuner" software suites that will control fans and give you what are supposed to be stable overclocks. I think the software may have automatically tried to "tune" my computer because the performance is screwed up now. Which is strange because it looks like it actually increased the clock speed of everything so if anything I should have been running faster, right?

Well, I uninstalled the software and I reset everything back to default in the BIOS but my performance is nowhere near where it used to be. I'm getting less than half the score I was getting before in many tests that I run, scoring way below the average of people with my setup. To make matters more interesting, I didn't have an overclock on it or anything originally so restoring it to defaults should have brought it back to exactly where I was before, right?

The good news though is that for the time being-- my fans sound great!

Solution
Your bios should have advance fan controls like ai suite does, u can find it under monitoring section in Bios. Fewer OS software u have installed, better it is, from my own experience.
Check and compare http://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode=advanced&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/cpugpu/spy/P/2005/1085/500000?minScore=0&cpuName=Intel Core i7-6700K&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 to make sure.
Did u check your temps when fans were 100%?
Pretty much hard to troubleshoot threads like this, cuz based on what u said u could screw anything up.

Makentox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2016
Your bios should have advance fan controls like ai suite does, u can find it under monitoring section in Bios. Fewer OS software u have installed, better it is, from my own experience.
Check and compare http://www.3dmark.com/search#/?mode=advanced&url=/proxycon/ajax/search/cpugpu/spy/P/2005/1085/500000?minScore=0&cpuName=Intel Core i7-6700K&gpuName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 to make sure.
Did u check your temps when fans were 100%?
Pretty much hard to troubleshoot threads like this, cuz based on what u said u could screw anything up.

Solution