Performance Issue with new Laptop.

Aug 16, 2018
Greetings,

I recently bought a 'budget' laptop for my wife to play a few games, (Acer Aspire 5 A515-41G-19BF). The problem is, the laptop is severly underperforming, I know is a budget PC, I'm not expecting anything great, but the performance is way below my own old laptop, (Lenovo G50-70 with I5-4210u and AMD HD8500M). And I'm talking even half the FPS with same settings in some games. The games I've tried are Overwatch, SCII, GW2, Heroes of The Storm. I just want to play the games in low settings with decent fps and no stutters, but this is not what I'm getting.

The specs of this laptop are:
Processor AMD A12-9720
Dedicated Graphics AMD RX 540
8GB RAM

I've tried using DDU to reinstall drivers, hell even reinstalling the whole windows, but nothing seems to work, i've been 2 weeks reading everywhere but I can't seem to find anything. I know a lot of you will say just, herp bottleneck, so I took this picture before coming here:

http://imgshare.free.fr/uploads/825dc1a8b3.png

As you can see, both CPU and GPU usage hover around 40-50%, yet FPS are at around 30-40 there in SCII with some stutters (and barely just starting the game, even before stuff starts to happen and with a mix of medium and low settings). Seems to me, both CPU and GPU usage should be higher.

I already checked all the power settings of windows, and of the radeon drivers... everything is set to high performance, i've even tried looking for some optimization tips for windows 10 on the internet, nothing seems to work.

Am I missing something here... Does anyone has an idea of what could be going on? The only time i've ever seen it reaching high GPU usage, was with the Heaven Benchmark.

Solution
Honestly, i find Acers to be under-performing, as well with this laptop, using technology that is over two years old for some decently demanding titles. I would HIGHLY recommend this: MSI GL62M 7RD-1407 15.6" with GTX 1050 graphics and 8GB Ram.

It's a slightly lower price and could probably buy it with the money you could get from selling the Acer and can play at higher settings. Other then that, you're looking at an SOL situation.

Alpha Gametauri

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Honestly, i find Acers to be under-performing, as well with this laptop, using technology that is over two years old for some decently demanding titles. I would HIGHLY recommend this: MSI GL62M 7RD-1407 15.6" with GTX 1050 graphics and 8GB Ram.

It's a slightly lower price and could probably buy it with the money you could get from selling the Acer and can play at higher settings. Other then that, you're looking at an SOL situation.

Solution

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
the I5-4210 CPU is ways ahead of the AMD A12-9720. The only types of AMD CPU's that can deliver performance anywhere similar to that of the I5-4210, would be the Ryzen Series. Unfortunately, it looks like you bought a pretty outdated system.