[SOLVED] Performance issue with RTX 2700 Super in Red Dead Redemption 2 ?

Jan 14, 2023
Hi I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I was planning to do another playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2 but I am running into severe performance issues. For some reason I am only able to get about 5 fps max, even if I run on the lowest graphics settings. What's weird is that I did a full playthrough of this game on this same machine 2 years ago on much higher settings and never had any issues. I am able to run other games just fine with no performance issues (The Witcher 3 Enhanced, Master Chief Collection, etc). I've tried reinstalling the game and my graphics drivers but no luck. Any ideas what to look for? I'm relatively new to pc gaming and not sure how to go about troubleshooting an issue like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CPU - Intel i7-9700k
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
16 GB RAM

Solution
Hi I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I was planning to do another playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2 but I am running into severe performance issues. For some reason I am only able to get about 5 fps max, even if I run on the lowest graphics settings. What's weird is that I did a full playthrough of this game on this same machine 2 years ago on much higher settings and never had any issues. I am able to run other games just fine with no performance issues (The Witcher 3 Enhanced, Master Chief Collection, etc). I've tried reinstalling the game and my graphics drivers but no luck. Any ideas what to look for? I'm relatively new to pc gaming and not sure how to go about troubleshooting an issue...
Hi I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I was planning to do another playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2 but I am running into severe performance issues. For some reason I am only able to get about 5 fps max, even if I run on the lowest graphics settings. What's weird is that I did a full playthrough of this game on this same machine 2 years ago on much higher settings and never had any issues. I am able to run other games just fine with no performance issues (The Witcher 3 Enhanced, Master Chief Collection, etc). I've tried reinstalling the game and my graphics drivers but no luck. Any ideas what to look for? I'm relatively new to pc gaming and not sure how to go about troubleshooting an issue like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CPU - Intel i7-9700k
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
16 GB RAM

Hey there,

Sounds like your iGPU is running the game! Have you changed any options in the bios recently? There may be an option to disable the iGPU, and thus forcing the discrete GPU to be used.

You might use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and do a clean install.

What bios are you running on the mobo? You can check this by using the 'Motherboard' tab in CPU-z.

Also, please list your full PC specs, including PSU.

Reactions: smittysomthin
Solution
Jan 14, 2023
Hey there,

Sounds like your iGPU is running the game! Have you changed any options in the bios recently? There may be an option to disable the iGPU, and thus forcing the discrete GPU to be used.

You might use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and do a clean install.

What bios are you running on the mobo? You can check this by using the 'Motherboard' tab in CPU-z.

Also, please list your full PC specs, including PSU.
Thank you so much for your response, it looks like you were correct about the iGPU running the game. I checked my connections and realized my primary monitor was not even plugged into to the actual GPU! Oops. I plugged my display into the correct port and now it's running great.

What I don't understand is how I managed to run games like TW3 and MCC on medium-high settings with this setup. Are the integrated graphics actually that good? Or was it still utilizing the GPU in some way?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Thank you so much for your response, it looks like you were correct about the iGPU running the game. I checked my connections and realized my primary monitor was not even plugged into to the actual GPU! Oops. I plugged my display into the correct port and now it's running great.

What I don't understand is how I managed to run games like TW3 and MCC on medium-high settings with this setup. Are the integrated graphics actually that good? Or was it still utilizing the GPU in some way?

Ah, that's good. I'm glad we've figured that out :)

Hmm, yes, it is a little odd. It's probably some setting you've changed on the NVCP, or even a power profile.

You can trick around with the power plans. I would suggest resetting the power planes by doing the following:

Open Powershell and type the following codes:

High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

This will reset the power plans to default. I'd suggest Balanced and High Performance. Ultimate doesn't bring anything other than all hardware running at full pelt, with no sleep functionality.

Try it for another day, and see how she goes. If all is well, then you can close the thread out by choosing a post as the solution.

Reactions: smittysomthin