Performance issues after installing an SSD

Jan 13, 2019
Hi everyone, it's my first time writing here ^^

I have a laptop ASUS N550JK with the following specs:

• ■ Intel core i7-4710HQ @ 2.50 GHz,
    ■ 8 GB of RAM,
    ■ NVidia GeForce GTX 850M,
    ■ HDD storage of 677 GB (strange number, I know).
Until last week I was able to play some games quite well, in particular Rainbow 6 Siege run at 40-50 fps, then I decided to upgrade my system installing an SSD (Crucial MX500). I reinstalled Windows and all the heavy programs on the SSD in order to shorten the loading times, but the in-game performances dropped drastically: now Rainbow 6 runs below 30 fps, unplayable. I don't notice any issues elsewhere: Windows boots and runs fine, all the loading times improved as expected.

What I tried:

• ■ all the energy-saving settings are set to performance, both on Windows and NVidia Experience,
    ■ checked that the games actually run on the NVidia GPU and not on the iGPU,
    ■ reinstalled and updated all the drivers,
    ■ reinstalled Rainbow 6 on the HDD,
    ■ checked the SSD 4K partition alignment.
None of these things restored my previous performances.

Do you know what could be the problem and how to solve it? I really don't get how an SSD could affect performance, any clues?

EDIT: I found out that the SSD is connected to a SATA 2 instead of a SATA 3, could this be the problem? I ask before actually trying to change that because I'm not sure...

PS: sorry for my English, I'm Italian ^^"

Jan 13, 2019
What I meant is that I checked if installing the game again on the HDD solved the problem, but it didn't. If I put it on the new drive I get much shorter loading time, but the frame rate is still very low, as already explained.

Jan 13, 2019
I edited the first post since I found out that the SSD is not connected to a SATA 3, as I assumed initially, but to a SATA 2. Unfortunately the HDD is occupying the only SATA 3 available, so, before trying to swap them, I ask you: could this be causing the drop in performance?