[SOLVED] performance issues after installing new gpu and power supply

Samar kr

Reputable
May 10, 2015
Recently i switched from GTX 750ti to GTX 1050ti and installed a new thermaltake 500W power supply, after installing the new parts i installed the windows 7.When i fired up my pc the first thing i noticed was that my recommend resolution for my dell e2014h monitor has changed, before the upgrade it use to be 1600*900 but now it is 1024*728, i use a hdmi to vga adapter. After installing all the necessary drivers and settings ,to test the performance i ran CSGO and it was lagging terribly pre-upgrade fps was 90-115 average , but after upgrade it has become unplayable and fps is 20 - 30 and the pc overall has became laggy. I don't have a clue what went wrong and any help would be appreciated.

PC SPECS:-

Processor :- Intel i3 4150
Display adapter :- Zotac GTX 1050ti 4GB
RAM :- 8GB DDR3
HDD :- Segate 1TB
Monitor :- Dell E2014H

Solution
HDMI to VGA seems a little odd and could be a bit funky, not sure if it would have any impact on FPS or not though... Have you checked your settings in CSGO to make sure the game didn't 'recommend' you to much higher settings because you changed your GPU? Although that wouldn't explain 'your whole pc lagging'

Hmm... the GPU 'could' be faulty, but i wouldn't say it is just yet. Some versions of the 1050ti which are usually overclocked require to be plugged into the power supply, however some do not. the 1050ti only needs 75w of power, and the PCI slot provides up to 75w of power. Is your graphics card plugged into the TOP Pcie slot, rather then one below? That could also be the culprit.

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
I see you said you installed all the necessary drivers, did you happen to get them from the manufacturers website?
https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Windows 7 kinda sucks with automatically getting all the newer drivers for everything, so sometimes you have to go searching a bit.
Make sure your drivers are also up to date with your motherboard too.

Make sure your monitor is plugged into the graphics card and not your motherboards graphics (if it has onboard graphics)

Samar kr

Reputable
May 10, 2015

yup all the drivers are installed from their respective manufacturer's websites and monitor is plugged into the gpu via a hdmi to vga adapter. Could it be that my gpu is faulty ? i have tested it with msi afterburner though and i didn't notice anything wrong.

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
HDMI to VGA seems a little odd and could be a bit funky, not sure if it would have any impact on FPS or not though... Have you checked your settings in CSGO to make sure the game didn't 'recommend' you to much higher settings because you changed your GPU? Although that wouldn't explain 'your whole pc lagging'

Hmm... the GPU 'could' be faulty, but i wouldn't say it is just yet. Some versions of the 1050ti which are usually overclocked require to be plugged into the power supply, however some do not. the 1050ti only needs 75w of power, and the PCI slot provides up to 75w of power. Is your graphics card plugged into the TOP Pcie slot, rather then one below? That could also be the culprit.

Solution

Samar kr

Reputable
May 10, 2015
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Samar kr : "performance issues after installing new gpu and power supply"

Recently i switched from GTX 750ti to GTX 1050ti and installed a new thermaltake 500W power supply, after installing the new parts i installed the windows 7.When i fired up my pc the first thing i noticed was that my recommend resolution for my dell e2014h monitor has changed, before the upgrade it use to be 1600*900 but now it is 1024*728, i use a hdmi to vga adapter. After installing all the necessary drivers and settings ,to test the performance i ran CSGO and it was lagging terribly pre-upgrade fps was 90-115 average , but after upgrade it has become unplayable and fps is 20 - 30 and the pc overall has became laggy. I don't have a clue what went wrong and any help would be appreciated.

PC SPECS:-

Processor :- Intel i3 4150
Display adapter :- Zotac GTX 1050ti 4GB
RAM :- 8GB DDR3
HDD :- Segate 1TB
Monitor :- Dell E2014H