Question Performance issues since installing a new RAM ?

Aug 22, 2024
So I got a new stick of RAM, installed it myself and my PC booted up normally.
But when I play games I'm noticing high CPU usage,

Q1: The RAM now consists of 1 x 16GB stick and 1 x 8GB stick, can this cause the high CPU usage?

Q2: Another thing is, I pressed my CPU fan too hard while installing the RAM, can that cause my motherboard's CPU pins to bend, leading to higher CPU usage?

Motherboard: Gigabyte H410 S2H
CPU: Core i5-10400F
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1 x 16GB and 1 x 8GB

Ralston18

Titan
Q1:

Go to Gigabyte's website and find the User Guide/Manual for the motherboard.

Double check that you have installed supported RAM and physically installed the RAM using a supported configuration. Meaning what slots and/or what slot combination is being used.

Overall, you are not using a matched set of RAM which is a requirement for dual channel use and proper performance.

Q2:

I would not expect that "pressing too hard" would cause higher use of the CPU per se.

My first thought is that the CPU may be working harder to deal with memory related issues. All the more so with respect to game play.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time. Open the tool window, leave it open so you can watch what is happening.

Watch first while not gaming and then watch while gaming. Look for what is using system resources and to what extent.