Performance Issues on brand New Ryzen 2600X PC

viral908

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
So, I finally upgraded my PC after seven years. I was running on Windows 7 before and not on an SSD. So, maybe this might be down to me not being familiar with those things. Anyway...

My new PC becomes unresponsive for a few seconds under normal loads. I work and game on my PC.

My work involves having a proprietary cloud app that runs on chrome and is used to create subtitles, so there's a lot of video involved. I can also have word docs, spreadsheets or PDFs open for reference. If I'm switching in between these or doing copy paste or selecting of several paragraphs of text, it just stops for several seconds and then responds later. Simple things like hitting the Cortana button or the start button or the settings button do this. My old PC was inferior in specs and it was a bit slow but it was never this unreasonable. I was actually expecting my new PC to blow me away.

This is an issue while gaming as well. Burnout Paradise Remastered will stop for several seconds to do god knows what in the background. But the animations in the HUD like the boost gauge fire animation and the sound of the engine work fine while it's frozen like this. Cars in the garage will also take a few seconds to load as you're browsing through them or take while to load into the larger world. The issue is especially acute in Dark Souls 2. The Witcher 3 has similar issues.
The frame rates are solid though. Butter smooth when it isn't acting up like this.

I was gonna post this once I had screenshots from CPU-Z and my BIOS settings but I'm in the middle of several deadlines and it is acting up quite badly and I am desperate. I'll try to post whatever information requested ASAP.

Just now, as I was typing this, the cursor is taking it's sweet time actually creating the characters and catching up to me.

Note: I had an issue with my new rig where there were repeated BSODs due to using RAM that was incompatible with Ryzen. But that was fixed by getting one from the official approved list. The PC was actually blazing quick with the server RAM I was using before the switch.

Specs:
Win 10 x64 Pro
Ryzen 2600x
MSI X470 Gaming Plus mobo
A single stick of Corsair Vengeance of 16GB running at 2400mhz
Kingston SSD-480GB(primary hard drive)
Seagate 2TB HDD
WD Black 1TB(this is my old Win 7 HDD)
Gigabyte GTX 960 [6GB VRAM)
Zebronics 600W PSU

I also use Kaspersky Internet Security

Could it be a faulty SATA cable? An issue with the SSD? The RAM? I've noticed that Win 10 is always stuck trying to install an update. I've actually reset the OS three times. A virus infection?
A driver conflict? An issue with the VRAM?

The graphic card has had some superficial damage to the cooler fan and it is vibrating just a bit.

Each new installation starts out fine but the moment I install a few basic apps
and Office, it begins to act this way. Though I can't say for sure about games, since I always install them last.

Update 1: I've also noticed that the SSD response times go up to several thousand milliseconds according to the task manager. Does this indicate an issue with the SATA cable or the SSD itself? Is there a utility I can use to be sure?

Update 2: I've been hearing a lot that this could be down to my single channel configuration and the frequency of the RAM. Can anyone suggest a cheap dual channel config that would be more ideal? 8GBx2. But more expensive 16Gbx2 is also something I would consider.

Update 3: Turns out it's Windows Update being stuck in a loop and constantly performing write operations to my SSD.

That said, this memory problem would make your PC not a champion but does not justify your current problems.

Let windows update performs all pending updates. Leave your PC open when you do not use it.

To discard / confirm a SATA cable failure enter the task manager when you experience the problems and verify the disk load. If it is almost 100% without really having much activity it is a SATA problem. Then reset the cable, switch to another port or use another cable to test.

In the same task manager check the CPU load in case there is any parasitic program.

Download HWmonitor or similar and control temps.

viral908

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
I see that the response time from the SSD sometimes shoots through the roof to thousands of milliseconds. Is that normal?I did try leaving the PC on overnight with the update window open but it always reaches a certain percentage and resets to pending install and then just stops.

Don't think the processor temperature is an issue. It seems to be in the normal range as per AMD's documentation.
Both the task manager and the Ryzen Master utility and show the processor running basically stress free and the smooth frame rates in games back that up. So, I think it' safe to say, that's not the point of stress or the problem factor. Though I did see that Win 10 has a very specific power profile for Ryzen and that could be causing issues.

Hi
I'm CERTAINLY no expert but.
I just upgraded myself to 2600x
On the asus rog strix f gaming
With g.skill flare x 3200 cl14 16gb 2x8.
From the numerous page i was read ryzen 2nd gens are loving the flare x or faster ram in general.
But don't care for single sticks.

So during win install did you load any of the sata controller drivers from the msi disk.
I left my os on my drive and fired it up update from the mobo disk along with what win did then i run IOBIT driver booster it found several things that needed updates. There is a free version and a paid version.

Also my son had chrome on his fx8350 with 16gb ram. Chromes ram usage on it just watch youtube vids was 54% so chrome is no longer on any of my systems.
We use firefor 64bit new version and warefox which is also 64bit.

In your case with using it for work that not an option but wallet depending is.
Newegg has the flare x 3200 cl14 16gb 2x8 for 225.00.
I hope something here helps.
Good luck

The op said he was running win 7
When he upgraded he is showing in his specs win 10 pro.
So sounds like he clean installed.
My system was upgraded using my win 10 home that was running a fx 8350.
All seem good but i do plan on a clean install from iso now the win 10 is reregistered. But for now going to see how it runs it only been 2 weeks.
Getting 1394 cn bench score and on 3dmark firestrike 17128
On userbench ufo across all 3 categories. And doing better the avrg user bench for my hardware.

viral908

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014

Apologies for not checking on this thread. I'd given up as I didn't get any replies for a few days. Turns out it's Windows Update being stuck in a loop and constantly performing write operations to my SSD.

Glad to hear it's doing better.
Still would certainty invest in more ram for the video's you mentioned,
Plus chrome being a resoucre hog.
Keep in mind with the ram when all 4 ram slot are populated it does the same as fx cpu's and run all at the 2666/ 2933 if lucky.
Stay with 2×8 16gb or 2x16 32gb.