Question Performance issues with ROG Strix

Mar 19, 2021
Hello,

I recently bought a ROG Strix GL702-VI with the following specs:
i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz (4 cores, 8 threads)
GTX 1080 8GB GDDRX5
16GB 2400MHz (single channel)
1TB HDD + 256GB M.2
120Hz 17.3' 1080p IPS w/Gsync (which doesn't really output 120Hz, seems like a known problem with this series, currently at 75Hz)

The issue I have is with mostly low performance with games that came out in the last 2 years, at least according to the known performance statistics.
I notice low frame rates even at very low settings and almost constant stuttering (for example Anthem, The Surge 2 can't maintain 60 fps at 720p and the lowest settings)
I do want to mention that currently I am running the games from my HDD until I will buy another M.2 drive, but still.
While playing (and sometimes even when not) I noticed a 7-10°C difference between two pairs of cores (1&2 will be 60 and 2&4 at 70) and I plan to add thermal paste soon too.

Another issue is Gsync that even though prompts that is engaged doesn't really seem to do anything in regard to screen tearing (I have to enable Vsync) or stuttering.

Would love your advice how can I resolve these issues. If something I mentioned doesn't seem right or unrelated to the problem please let me know, my tech knowledge is minimal.

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS