[SOLVED] Performance issues

RomExzZ1

Prominent
Jan 14, 2021
Good afternoon.

I have a self built PC that I have recently installed a brand new 3070 in. I am having an issue that I cannot seem to identify. Initially, when playing Warzone, I am finding frame rates of approx 140. After around 2 hours of use, the frame rates drop to around 40-70 fps. I have included all the specifications below of both the PC and the settings I am running. I hope someone can help me get this resolved as I feel like the 3070 is being wasted in my PC😪

Ryzen 2600x
3070 ROG Strix
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000mhz
MSI x470 gaming plus
Samsung 840 evo (Games)
Samsung 970 evo (OS)
Evga 600w 80plus

1440x2560
144hz
Reflex + Boost
On-demand streaming off
DLSS in Performance mode
Textures high
Ray tracing off

All drivers are up to date. All components are stock (no oc). There are 7 case fans with exhaust at the top and rear. Temperatures of gpu are around 55c consistently. Cpu usage is around 78% and gpu utilisation states its about 30% (which seems odd?) And ram usage is around 14gb.

Thank you for reading!

Solution
I found that the cm hyper212 was difficult to mount properly.
And, the instructions were not clear.
What is your idle temperature, and what is your room temperature?

Your cpu seems to be intrinsically plenty strong enough to run your game initially. Something is degrading that capability.

It is possible that your psu is marginal.
3000 series graphics cards have some power peaks that your psu may not be able to cope with properly, even though the nominal power is ok.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
But, if this is a cause, I would expect to see stutters even at the start of the session.
If you are inclined to upgrade the psu, look for a 750-850w unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Corsair rm or Seasonic...
Performance degradation after a time smacks of a heat issue.
What is the make/model of your cpu cooler?

I suspect that you are thermal throttling.
That is when the cpu detects a dangerous temperature and lowers the multiplier until the situation is resolved.

Run Hwmonitor.
It will record the current, minimum and maximum cpu temperatures.
Look first at the minimum temperatures.
If they are in the range of 20-25c. over ambient then your cooler is likely functioning and mounted well.

After gaming to the point where performance drops, look at the maximum temperature. If it is shows in red, you have throttled.
I think that might be in the 90c. range.

Look at the current clock rate.
I suspect that it will be lower than normal.

Also, be careful about interpreting cpu usage.
You have 12 threads.
But, a game rarely makes effective use of more than 4-8 of them.
Windows will spread out the cpu activity over all available threads.
78% is likely a cpu bottleneck.
If you are throttling, and using a lower multiplier, your cpu usage will go up without doing any more useful work.

As a quick fix, take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
What is the make/model of your case
and fan arrangement?

RomExzZ1

Prominent
Jan 14, 2021
Th
Performance degradation after a time smacks of a heat issue.
What is the make/model of your cpu cooler?

I suspect that you are thermal throttling.
That is when the cpu detects a dangerous temperature and lowers the multiplier until the situation is resolved.

Run Hwmonitor.
It will record the current, minimum and maximum cpu temperatures.
Look first at the minimum temperatures.
If they are in the range of 20-25c. over ambient then your cooler is likely functioning and mounted well.

After gaming to the point where performance drops, look at the maximum temperature. If it is shows in red, you have throttled.
I think that might be in the 90c. range.

Look at the current clock rate.
I suspect that it will be lower than normal.

Also, be careful about interpreting cpu usage.
You have 12 threads.
But, a game rarely makes effective use of more than 4-8 of them.
Windows will spread out the cpu activity over all available threads.
78% is likely a cpu bottleneck.
If you are throttling, and using a lower multiplier, your cpu usage will go up without doing any more useful work.

As a quick fix, take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
What is the make/model of your case
and fan arrangement?
I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB. The only other possible solution I have been given to the issue aside from the post above about the PSU not bring strong enough is that my CPU isn't strong enough either. I will check next week when I'm home and use the method you have suggested. Thank you both for your inputs.

Your cpu seems to be intrinsically plenty strong enough to run your game initially. Something is degrading that capability.

3000 series graphics cards have some power peaks that your psu may not be able to cope with properly, even though the nominal power is ok.
But, if this is a cause, I would expect to see stutters even at the start of the session.
If you are inclined to upgrade the psu, look for a 750-850w unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Corsair rm or Seasonic focus is a good place to start.
An overly strong psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

Solution

RomExzZ1

Prominent
Jan 14, 2021

Corsair rm or Seasonic focus is a good place to start.
An overly strong psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

I would say my room temp is roughly 21c but as for the idle temp I'm not too sure. I have installed afterburner with the statistic server previously but I completely forgot to check cpu temp. One thing I did also notice is that when monitoring the gpu there was a graph on afterburner that showed voltage peak (I think) it was a graph from 0 to 1 and as soon as I ran a stability test it would instantly change to 1 and remain till the test was complete.

I would be happy to upgrade the psu in due course but I am just wanting to boil down the other possible options before getting to that point. I initially thought it was the ram being that there is only around 2gb left when running warzone.

RomExzZ1

Prominent
Jan 14, 2021
@geofelt

I have since downloaded Ryzen Master and set it to Precision Booster Overdrive and allowed it to run a test. It said it completed the test and applied a boost to 4.2Ghz. I then ran a stress test with CPU-Z. The CPU only went to 4Ghz and has remained with a temperature of 67c after around 15 minutes at 100% utilisation. All of my case fans and CPU fan have responded to the higher temperature as set in the BIOS and are clearly much louder than normal but I wouldn't say this is normally how the PC sounds when playing games. Even after hours.

Upon stopping the stress test the clock speed went back to 4.2Ghz and the CPU temp dropped to 36c within about 15 seconds.

All this would tell me (a novice) that the cpu cooler is working fine but there is something else that is the issue. Why would the clocks go down to 4Ghz whilst in idle they sit at 4.2?

Let me know what you think!

Thanks.

First, of all, your tests would show that heat is not an issue.
Yes, there is something else going on.
I do not know what that might be.

Are you also running any other apps while gaming?
Discord, I think can cause problems.

For whatever reason, ryzen idles at a higher multiplier.
Something is always running.
You are probably ok there.

An all core overclock will normally run at a lower multiplier than the turbo multiplier.
Turbo boosts a couple of cores past the oc level when conditions permit.

As another test, run the CPU-Z bench test.
Your single thread performance rating should be about 478:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/p2d7tu/1
Single thread performance is very important in games.

But, the real question is why your performance degrades over time.
What resets it?
If you leave the pc to idle for a while, does the issue go away, or does it take a cold boot to make it go away.