Dec 27, 2021
Hello guys,

I hope I'm in the right forum category, if not I want to apologize in advance, but I don't know which topic would suit best.

I have a huge problem with my laptop at the moment and hope that anybody can help me.

First, my system:

MSI GP66 Leopard 11UH-028

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz, 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors, 24 MB Cache, TurboBoost up to 4.60 GHz
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6
Installed RAM 16.0 GB DDR4 3200 MHz SODIMM (2x 8)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
1. SSD 1000 GB, M.2, PCI Express 3.0
(2. SSD 1000 GB, PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2, Samsung 980 PRO)
144 Hz inbuild Display 1920*1080
60 Hz extern Display 1920*1080

Edition Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Version 21H2
OS build 19044.1415
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

My problem is as follows:

When I bought that laptop at the end of July and had it set up to my needs everything was fine, except some things about windows 10 that just annoy me. But the system worked as intended, no major problems. I played GTA Online at nearly the maximum settings, but because the hardware was and is not able to run the game at these settings at a steady 144 fps (it went from about 80 to 144+ depending on the situation) I locked the frames at 60. So far, so good, the game run at 60 fps steady, never ever got below 60 (I always have NVIDIA Experience showing me the fps sin the lower right corner, so I can assure it never dropped below 60 during gameplay).
At the end of October, I installed Windows 11 because I hoped that it’ll be more to my liking than Windows 10 is, but it really wasn’t.
So, I wanted to go back, but because I don’t like Windows 10 very much, I thought “why not try and install Windows 8.1”? Thought, tried. It took me like 5 goes to get 8.1 installed correctly, but it worked. At least I was able to start the laptop and use it, but not to it’s full potential, since some drivers were not compatible. For example, I had no sound and no Internet connection and the drivers I tried to install didn’t work, since my hardware seems to be just not compatible with Windows 8.1. I already feared that when I tried installing 8.1, but I thought “just try it, cannot do any harm if it really doesn’t work”.
Since my laptop then was in no shape to use it reasonably, I formatted the SSD again and reinstalled Windows 10. And here’s where the real problems started.

After reinstalling Win10, GTA Online didn’t run as it did before (the same goes for the single player). I used the exact same graphics settings (made a backup of the settings files etc. before I “returned” to 8.1) and the game runs much worse than before. For example, if I fly over the city the frames go below 60, mostly they are at about 52, but sometimes they even drop to 38 or a bit lower.
I tried several things to fix this, like using the NVIDIA driver I used before upgrading to Win11, reinstalling the game, set windows to maximum performance, I even uninstalled the 3080 via the Device Manager and reinstalled it, but to no avail. Even if I set the graphics to the lowest possible, the frames are at about 70-80 while flying over the city, sometimes even go down to 60. And the game definitely uses the 3080 and not the integrated Intel UHD, I made sure of that. I also ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, which said my CPU was okay, and the FurMark benchmark for the GPU, which gave satisfying results. Even reinstalling Win10 several times didn't change a thing.

I’m also using the MSI Dragon Gaming Center, which shows CPU and GPU usage. When I play GTA Online, the CPU goes to a maximum of 50 %, most of the time it’s between 30-40 %, and the GPU is at about 20-40 %.
RDR2 on the other hand did run at 60 fps at high graphics settings and still does, with a GPU usage of about 100 % most of the time and still does, although I think it runs a little bit slower than before, but not as mentionable as GTA V/Online.
Another game, Succubus, ran with perfectly steady 60 fps before, too, after the last reinstall of Win10 it dropped to 55 sometimes, although it doesn’t seem to do that no more. But I’m not 100 % sure if it really doesn’t go below 60 anymore.
I installed Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday, and it runs perfectly fine at highest settings. Not with 144 fps, of course, but so far it never dropped below ~80 so far.

I have absolutely no idea what causes this problem and how to fix it. It’s very annoying and frustrating that I some games cannot be played anymore at settings which should absolutely be no problem for my hardware, but somehow now are.

Dec 27, 2021
Have you installed all the other drivers from the manufacturers website? The default windows ones aren't always up to par and device manager won't show any exclamation marks.

Intel Management Engine and chipset drivers probably have something to do with it https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GP66-Leopard-11UX/support?sub_product=GP66-Leopard-11UH#down-driver&Win10 64

Hello crazyal and thanks for your reply.
Yes, the first thing I did after Windows 10 was up and running was to install all drivers from the msi support page.
The only driver I didn't install is the one for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, because the system says it wouldn't be supported when I try to install it, don't know why. But as far as I know that shouldn't interfere with the performance of the CPU and GPU.

Cheers,

Kavelir

crazyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Ok, first do this https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prevent-automatic-driver-installation-in-windows-10/ (stops windows from installing its own drivers in later steps).

Next download the graphics' drivers from the laptops driver webpage and save them somewhere for later (drivers from the laptop support page are sometimes customized for the specific hardware implementation inside the laptop).

Then run this https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html in safe mode and get rid of all the current graphics drivers on the system. Sometimes fragments of old drivers can remain if you've done inplace upgrades of windows/reverted back to previous windows version and they conflict.

Now reboot back into normal mode and install the drivers you downloaded earlier.

If there's a startup problem run system restore in startup repair, but I don't think there will be.

Test the game again.

Don't forget to turn automatic driver installation back on (first link).

Dec 27, 2021
Hello again, crazyal.

I tried what you suggested, but unfortunately to no avail. Nothing really changed, and if, it got a little bit worse.
Maybe the following information can be relevant: During the gameplay test I let the NVIDIA Experience Overlay show me the Advanced Performance Overview and the Render Latency was at about 8 ms. I have no idea if that's low, normal, or high.

TRENDING THREADS