Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
My PC:

1.4 athlon
786 pc133 ram
Geforce3 ti500
Windows XP Prof
i dont think the rest matters...

anyway, i am scoring a 3000 in 3dmark2001, actually going up and down from 30 to 60 frames per second in HALFLIFE(4 year old game), and experiencing an overall performance decrease. this just started after i got tired of the bugs i had in XP a few weeks ago and switched to 2000 prof. well, after switching to that the performance problems started, so i went back to XP, and they are still there. i DO have 4x FSAA turned on, but i had that turned on when i first had winXP and i didnt have these problems. the only changes made to my hardware was more memory (doubled the amount i had), and that was after these problems started so that cant be the problem.

anybody know what could be causing this?

lobley

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
In your bios (press del or delete when the memory counts up) look for a variable similar to "agp4x mode:" or "agp2x mode:" make sure it is OFF. This should solve your problem.

I don't know why they don't say this in the documentation of the cards because it SEEMS like agp4x or agp2x should be on (they look like they would make things faster) and that many people would be having this problem. But in my experience they should most certainly be off.

If there is no such entry in the bios and your motherboard has a via chipset - find the via4in1 drivers on the internet and install them. when they ask you to run agp in turbo mode or normal pick NORMAL. then look in your bios again, I think the agp4x or agp2x option should be there now and should be off.

The url for the 4in1 drivers is http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1
(it's not the one I used. I couldn't find the one I used)

kaww

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
well, turning off 4x FSAA helped with 3dmark, i guess i didnt think it would be running with them on without setting them in 3dmark.

i went into my bios and i found an option for "AGP Speed" or something like that, and it had options for 4x, 2x, and 1x. i put it on 1x and nothing changed. any other ideas?