Performance related crash

rapahamune

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
Hello everyone, english is not my first language so I'm sorry for any further mistake/typo.

I've been experiencing some performance/stress related crash, it happened while gaming and is a bit random, my screen will just freeze with a buzzing sound out of the speakers (pretty much like a short loop on the last thing it was playing), the only way out is to force a restart. Well, I believe it's related to stress/performance cause it happens more often if I higher my graphics settings, and less often (or even disappear) if I lower then. Happened in more than one game, never happened while I'm not gaming so far.

Well, I think it may be overheating issues, but I'm not sure. I set up a temperature overlay so I can check it while gaming in full screen. Let's take GTA for example, right off the start my cpu would be around 65 Celsius, after like 10 mins in game it would go up to 75 and if I continue playing it reaches 85, that's when usually my PC crashes (not on a fix temp though, just something around that), my gpu often stabilizes at 70-75 without going higher. DOTA2, I used to play dota2 for hours without any crashes, but then yesterday i switched my monitor to 1440p/120hz and changed my in-game resolution, my cpu just started overheating like GTA, and it crashed around 80-90 Celsius aswell. AC4, while playing my cpu would stabilize at 60-70 and gpu around 70, and I've never had crashes in this game. Well, that's because I think it's overheating, BUT I stressed my system with Prime95 small FFTs, all my cores reached 95-99 Celsius and I let it run for like 5 minutes and got no crashes. I may have an overheating problem, but I'm not sure if that is what is causing crashes. Just an observation: why is my CPU going so hot while playing dota2 (pretty light game) when it runs AC4 relatively cool.

Other things I've tried from similar posts: updated my BIOS, update my drivers from Gigabyte website, tested my ram with windows 10 program (it made me restart to test, so it looks reliable, maybe), changed my thermal paste (even though it's a brand new pc).

My pc is brand new, 1 week today, it was built by a specialized store. Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte aorus gaming z370m
CPU: I5 9600-K
Cooler: Cooler master standard cooler i70
GPU: Gigabyte windforce RTX 2070
RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix 8Gb 2400 MHz
PSU: Cooler master Masterwatt 600W 80 plus
SSD: PNY cs900 series 480 GB
HD: Seagate barracuda 1 TB
Case: Aerocool aero 500 (only 1 fan in the back)

I'm planning on buying some extra fans in front and up of my case, and also upgrade my cooler. All that being said, what's your opinion guys? Do you believe it's overheating, or something else?

rapahamune

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
Well, I installed 2 more fans and changed my cooler as I said. My CPU temperature is stable now and 20 Celsius lower than before, and I played for like 2 hours without any crashes (although it was random, normally it would take 15-20 mins to crash). I think I got it solved.
But still, I'm a bit confused, years back I had overheating problems with another PC, it was a Pentium 4 and one of the cooler's screw broke, while the other 3 were holding everything in place I think it lost some surface contact and started overheating, I remember my temperature slowly going higher and higher and my pc would turn off after reaching 100 Celsius. I thought it would be something similar to this, or maybe my Mobo would underclock my cores to lower the temps and instead of crashing my pc would start lagging and dropping FPS. And also, why can I reach 99 Celsius stressing with Prime95 but couldn't hold 85-90 while gaming?
Anyway, I hope I don't get crashes anymore.