Performance Slow After Waking

TikkerFuries

Reputable
May 20, 2015
This is a weird problem that I don't quite understand so I joined to get a bit of help. Everyone on here knows their stuff!

Basically, when I wake my computer up from sleep performance is slow. Noticeably in 3D applications. Even non 3D intensive applications run very sluggish, at around 30fps. it doesn't happen every time I put my computer to sleep but about 90% of the time.

Performance recovers when I do a system restart, I don't have to turn off the PC and it doesn't recover overtime. I've noticed the performance drop a few times even after using the PC for several hours without it sleeping

Things I've tried:

1. Fresh copy of Windows on a different HDD.
2. Check disk for errors.
3. Disabling hybrid sleep
4. Different graphics card.
5. Different drivers.
6. Monitored temps and they're fine.
7. Memtest64 - Passed four times.
8. Prime95 - Six hours running, no errors.

I've had this PC for about 5 months now and I'm sure it never use to do this when I first got it. Sure I could just restart the PC but it shouldn't do this anyway? I'm honestly lost. The only thing I can think of is that it is a setting in the BIOS, but what?

Specs:
i7 4790k
GTX 970
Kingston 8gb
550w PSU
Corsair H80i Hydro Cooler
Asus Z97-A mobo

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me out!

Edit: It appears I may have found the issue although I have not found a permanent fix. When the performance was in the bad state, I set the minimum processor state from 100% to 5% and presto, performance came back. It doesn't matter what the minimum processor state is in advanced power management, as long as I change the value performance comes back.

Even with a fresh copy of Windows it still does it. Is this a bug in Windows 7 or a hardware issue? Is the CPU underclocking itself for the wrong reasons? Maybe temps spike when it wakes up, as the fans aren't in full spin instantly so it underclocks to protect itself?

Reyaz123

Admirable
Check your power options and set it to high performance and see if that fixes it.Afterwards, If you are using a laptop, plug in your charger and check if the games run fine. I had this problem on my laptop and it always fixes when I set the power options to high performance (with the charger plugged in)

TikkerFuries

Reputable
May 20, 2015
Still nothing.

I'm 99% certain it's not an issue in Windows as I've installed a fresh copy on a new hard drive.

TikkerFuries

Reputable
May 20, 2015
It appears I may have found the issue although I have not found a permanent fix. When the performance was in the bad state, I set the minimum processor state from 100% to 5% and presto, performance came back. It doesn't matter what the minimum processor state is in advanced power management, as long as I change the value performance comes back.

Even with a fresh copy of Windows it still does it. Is this a bug in Windows 7 or a hardware issue? Is the CPU underclocking itself for the wrong reasons? Maybe temps spike when it wakes up, as the fans aren't in full spin instantly so it underclocks to protect itself?

TRENDING THREADS