Question Performed a repasting/thermal pad application to fix a defect on my card's VRMs, how do I test that it's working?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I have a EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0 (Model Number: 08G-P4-6276-KR)

These cards apparently had a defect that could short out the VRMs and basically destroy the card. To "fix" it... sorta... EVGA issued a firmware update that just simply runs the fans at a higher RPM and a set of thermal pads/paste to help cool the card better.

I finally got around to installing them, and I am not sure if I did it right. I ran into several setbacks, had to un-do and re-do everything due to reassembling it incorrectly in a way that was bending the backplate at an angle (I really hope I didn't damage anything from that), got one of the original thermal pads that was supposed to stay a little dirty and there was a dirty oily substance around some parts of the card (I am told this is apparently normal and a result of the thermal pads? It was mostly centered around these four existing pads around the back of the card). Also since I had a lot of my Noctua NT-H2 lying around I used that instead of the plastic packet of non-descript thermal paste that they gave me.

I tried running a stress test in Furmark for about an hour and the highest GPU temperature was 74C, which seems within range from what I understand. But the main issue that this mess was supposed to mitigate was the VRMs overheating and shorting out. Is there any way I can test if these are operating correctly or cooler now? I am not aware of any way to measure VRMs on a video card, I only see ways to measure GPU temp and the speeds/voltages of the GPU and RAM.

Lutfij

Titan
I recall people had to scramble right, left and center in order to figure out if they needed the VRM cooling/replacement kit. After a long while, their tech support deemed my GTX1060 FTW(which was purchased for a client's build) was not at risk of the thermal issue.

You're going to need thermal probes which, in all honesty, is beyond the scope of regular users.

A_Goat

Distinguished
I have a EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0 (Model Number: 08G-P4-6276-KR)

These cards apparently had a defect that could short out the VRMs and basically destroy the card. To "fix" it... sorta... EVGA issued a firmware update that just simply runs the fans at a higher RPM and a set of thermal pads/paste to help cool the card better.

I finally got around to installing them, and I am not sure if I did it right. I ran into several setbacks, had to un-do and re-do everything due to reassembling it incorrectly in a way that was bending the backplate at an angle (I really hope I didn't damage anything from that), got one of the original thermal pads that was supposed to stay a little dirty and there was a dirty oily substance around some parts of the card (I am told this is apparently normal and a result of the thermal pads? It was mostly centered around these four existing pads around the back of the card). Also since I had a lot of my Noctua NT-H2 lying around I used that instead of the plastic packet of non-descript thermal paste that they gave me.

I tried running a stress test in Furmark for about an hour and the highest GPU temperature was 74C, which seems within range from what I understand. But the main issue that this mess was supposed to mitigate was the VRMs overheating and shorting out. Is there any way I can test if these are operating correctly or cooler now? I am not aware of any way to measure VRMs on a video card, I only see ways to measure GPU temp and the speeds/voltages of the GPU and RAM.
Well, if you've already replaced them, you can't exactly figure out what they were before. But as Lutfi mentioned, you'd need additional hardware anyway.

74C in Furmark is great for a 1070, I wouldn't worry about it anymore than you already have.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS