Performer Question: File-Based Plug-In Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

First of all, let me acknowledge that I need to, and in fact I intend
to, read the Performer manuals, but if you folks could please help me
solve one problem now, I could knock out some stuff right away. Thanks!

It's been a year or two since I last used Performer, but I recently
upgraded to the OSX (Mac) version, and I see something that doesn't look
right.

I'm attempting to do what I believe Performer calls "file-based" plug-in
processing, wherein I select a soundbite, do Audio -> Audio Plug-ins ->
and choose whatever plug-in to process that soundbite. The plug-in
window pops up as expected, but poking the "Preview" button produces no
sound. It's been a couple years, but I'm pretty darned sure it used to
play over that track's selected output channel the processed audio, but
I hear nothing.

Do any of you have any idea the "Preview" button would produce no sound?

I hear it just fine when I play at that point in the ... "song" or
whatever. As I'm writing this, however, I'm remembering something I'd
forgotten about, and is possibly relevant: I seem to vaguely recall
that it will play a given soundbite if I double-click on it. If so, I
do not hear any audio upon doing that.

I'm using a PCI-424 card hooked up to a 2408Mk2, on a dual-2GHz G5 Mac,
playing back over S/PDIF, if that matters.

Thanks a bunch for the ideas!

--

(Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get

<< I'm attempting to do what I believe Performer calls "file-based" plug-in
processing, wherein I select a soundbite, do Audio -> Audio Plug-ins ->
and choose whatever plug-in to process that soundbite. >>

Are you highliting the soundbyite?

---------------------------------------

EggHd wrote:

> << I'm attempting to do what I believe Performer calls "file-based" plug-in
> processing, wherein I select a soundbite, do Audio -> Audio Plug-ins ->
> and choose whatever plug-in to process that soundbite. >>
> Are you highliting the soundbyite?

Yes, as I mentioned, it is selected at the time I do the menu pick.

--

(Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
buried in spam.)

>Do any of you have any idea the "Preview" button would produce no sound?

In the Audio Bundles window, are your monitor outputs (the outputs of your
DACs, plugged into your monitor system) at the top of the list, & do they have
"L" & "R" blocks pasted in the matrix?

Scott Fraser

Ah, I see the overall nature of the problem, although I don't completely
understand it yet: It appears to be related with of the 2408's two
S/PDIF outputs you monitor.

--

ScotFraser wrote:

> In the Audio Bundles window, are your monitor outputs (the outputs of your
> DACs, plugged into your monitor system) at the top of the list, & do they have
> "L" & "R" blocks pasted in the matrix?

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then yes.

Well, sorta: I managed to get it to work, up to a point, although I
don't completely understand it yet: Performer knows of only one S/PDIF
output as far as I can tell, but the 2408 has two physical S/PDIF
outputs, and some S/PDIF audio goes to one and some goes to the other.
I haven't psyched out yet which cases it uses one and which cases it
uses the other.

--

(Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
buried in spam.)

<< Well, sorta: I managed to get it to work, up to a point, although I
don't completely understand it yet: Performer knows of only one S/PDIF
output as far as I can tell, but the 2408 has two physical S/PDIF
outputs, and some S/PDIF audio goes to one and some goes to the other.
I haven't psyched out yet which cases it uses one and which cases it
uses the other.>>

If you're seeing one SPDIF in black & one grayed out in your output subwindow,
select the one that you can. They both refer to the same output. There is only
one SPDIF output location, but the hardware setup can get confused if you reset
to, say, use the Sound Manager, instead of the 2408. When you come back to the
2408 your outputs will be a bit scrambled. Read up on the Audio Bundles window.
It's initially very confusing, but it will straighten out all your in & out
routing. The primary point of confusion is that there are other places to set
your input & output routings, but only in the Audio Bundles window can you set
which outputs are the default monitor outputs of the stereo mix buss. Even
though there are 2 SPDIF outs, they should always mirror each other. One is
intended to send to a DAT for example, while the other goes to, say, the SPDIF
in on a digital mixer for monitoring the internal Digital Performer mix.
Scott Fraser

> If you're seeing one SPDIF in black & one grayed out in your output subwindow,
> select the one that you can. They both refer to the same output. There is only
> one SPDIF output location, but the hardware setup can get confused if you reset
> to, say, use the Sound Manager, instead of the 2408.

OK, I'll have to cogitate on that a bit. Thanks for the thoughts.

Just to make sure that there's no misunderstanding though, what I'm
pointing out is that the 2408 has two S/PDIF outputs - two actual,
physical connectors, whereas I don't recall seeing but one S/PDIF output
in any of Performer's menus. One is labeled "DAT out" or something to
that effect, and the other is the output of the S/PDIF in/out pair.
What I'm finding is that some forms of playback are happening over that
DAT out, and some are happening over the ... normal ... S/PDIF output.

--

(Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
buried in spam.)

<< Just to make sure that there's no misunderstanding though, what I'm
pointing out is that the 2408 has two S/PDIF outputs - two actual,
physical connectors, whereas I don't recall seeing but one S/PDIF output
in any of Performer's menus. One is labeled "DAT out" or something to
that effect, and the other is the output of the S/PDIF in/out pair.
What I'm finding is that some forms of playback are happening over that
DAT out, and some are happening over the ... normal ... S/PDIF output.>>

Right. As I mentioned earlier, one SPDIF out is intended to go to a DAT or
other recorder, & the other would be for monitoring through a digital mixer.
They carry the same signal. I don't see how it is possible to get two different
sources going to the different SPDIF outputs because there is no way to address
them individually, or assign routings to them individually. I suspect some
other routing error is at play, but the SPDIFs are carrying the same output.
You can run test tones through the 2408 to track this down.

Scott Fraser