[SOLVED] "Performing way below expectations": Ryzen9 3900X / RTX2070 / G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600

Nov 26, 2020
My results are here:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35974866

How can I find out why it performs below expectations? I've run the test multiple times with the same result.

Am running the "AMD Ryzen balanced" power plan (have not modified it) in Windows 10.
  • CPU: Got no CPU intensive tasks running, the fan barely starts during the benchmark, no overclocking, no custom settings in BIOS.
  • NVIDIA: Got the latest drivers, have not done any configuration in Geforce Experience, have not overclocked it.
  • Monitor: https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/products/lcd/XG3240C.php (FreeSync activated)
  • Memory: No idea what to look for.

Last edited:
Solution
Isn't the percentage relative to ALL systems, while "way below expectations" is specific for the hardware? My friends posted their results and that's my take from comparing them.

Meaning that overall my system is great compared to others, but it should perform faster on my specific hardware.

Yes it is, the issue is it even the percentile results don't take into account any kind of overclocking.
That doesn't matter so much with pbo enabled ryzen cpu's but it does when it comes to intel k cpu's and a lot of gpu results.

That percentile range won't take this into account and for someone running stock clocks it makes their result look way worse than it is.

It can be useful if you have a modicum of sense and take this into...
  1. Your 970 EVO is way too full. 6GB free on a 250GB is far too little.
  2. Your RAM is still running at base speed of 2133. XMP, and increase that.
  3. Userbenchmark is a poor tool.

Good advice but i would not call it "poor" since its very helpful for stuff like this. I agree the benchmark results are kinda random but for diagnosing fast nothing beats it.
literally half of the questions here could be avoided just by link to userbenchmark result

Nov 26, 2020
All parts could report as "Very good - 105%, Excellent - 120%..."
And still give a "way below expectations"

Isn't the percentage relative to ALL systems, while "way below expectations" is specific for the hardware? My friends posted their results and that's my take from comparing them.

Meaning that overall my system is great compared to others, but it should perform faster on my specific hardware.

Yes it is, the issue is it even the percentile results don't take into account any kind of overclocking.
That doesn't matter so much with pbo enabled ryzen cpu's but it does when it comes to intel k cpu's and a lot of gpu results.

That percentile range won't take this into account and for someone running stock clocks it makes their result look way worse than it is.

It can be useful if you have a modicum of sense and take this into account - clearly it is of some use troubleshooting because I saw your ram clocks within a second and it was fairly easy to deduce why your cpu was under performing.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
The 15% background use showing for that run is an issue.
Sub-optimal background CPU (15%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. How to reduce background CPU.
Disable any apps/services that are running Before you take the test to see if that improves your CPU score.

And as stated above, I personally don't put much stock in the ratings this test returns.
BUT, it can be helpful for diagnosing any glaring issues, like XMP not being enabled and not enough free space on your SSD.

Reactions: Phaaze88
They should remove the "Performing below potential " since everyone running stock speed gpu/cpu will get this and think theyre hardware is not working properly.
However i never had "performing way below expectations" when running stock with 6 tested gpu:s and 8 processors.

Obviously more than half of ppl runs theyre ram at XMP speeds so you will get that message until you enable it (since it compares the exact same Kit)

I started from being the worst x3470 processor to being the top1 on the leaderboard. Comparing the results the benchmark is fairly accurate, when i run it 4.0ghz closest scores had also theyre cpu running at 4.0ghz and so on. People will cry that amd is not fairly treated in this bench, but comparing to my friends pc running 2700x amd with same gpu im still getting way better frames in fortnite,csgo, and overwatch. With an 1st gen i7, not bad at all.