[SOLVED] Perhaps some help overlocking a i7-9700k in a z390-h

Nov 9, 2018
Not new to Overclocking in general, but certainly have never experience the instability I am getting by using the EZ tuner available in the ASUS bios and then after 5 minutes in stress test on IETU it blue screens. I do see alot of Thermal Throttling, I see temp spikes above 90 sometimes in the 99 with the fans going full tilt. I'm not going to do that anymore.

I have fans set to extreme in Icue from corsair. I can't really see what is getting set in bios after clicking the EZ tune button. I thought it sets everything to auto. In any case is there a safe instruction guide or perhaps someone could write me a safe instruction guide on overclocking this. I'd need a noob guide of course cause I've never done a manual overclock, just software and auto stuff. I don't want anything extreme, I just don't want to run at the base 3.6Ghz speed. Otherwise I'll go back to my i5-6600k, i was getting 4.2Ghz out of that with the same chiller and older Z170A. Thank you in advanced.

CPU: Intel I7 9700k
MB: ASUS Rog Strix z390-h
Cooler: Corsair H100i Pro
Memory: Corsair DDR 4 16GB 3000Mhz Vengeance LPX
Video Card: MSI GTX 1080 X Gaming
PS: Corsair CX 650M Bronze
Drive: Samsung 950 Pro 256G M.2 SSD
OS Version: Windows 10 Home Unpatched.

Solution
Yea the installation guide for the H100i is junk, the video guides on YT are much better. As for the 6600K 4.9 is realistic however make sure your not exceeding the max Vcore which is 1.4V. Doing so will lower the life of the CPU drastically (electromigration).

WildCard999

Titan
Auto overclocking software typically uses too much voltage which is probably what is happening in your case causing the higher temps. This time around your going to need to manually overclock, use the Intel Temperature Guide by CompuTronix to learn the information you'll need, it also has the required tools for overclocking.

Nov 9, 2018
@WildCard999 thank you for the link and informative guide. I will certainly follow it. I was able to resolve my issue just now but I didn't use this guide yet but i most certainly will take a serious look into it. It turns out that new corsair h100i pro I just bought was not pumping or compensating the fans for the heat the cpu was putting out.

I really dislike instruction manuals like the one you get with the h100i, when they put all 6 foreign languages in line with the english and you get tired of trying to find the english so you just follow the diagrams. Well it turns out there's a usb cable that needs to plug into the pump and then wire to a usb 2.0 header. The guide mentions it on the last page but the diagram isn't very clear and I thought it was a fan cable. After searching through numerous forums found someone mention this cable and sure enough found the cable and connected it and the darn thing started to work as needed. I am able to oc to 5Ghz and I am running the XTU stress test as we speak for a few hours. It hasn't hit above 80 degrees at this point and there's not thermal throttling.

A side question that maybe you or someone else could answer. I bought this stuff to replace an i5 6600k 3.5Ghz proc in a Asus z170-a MB. I put this setup into another machine and reapplied the thermal grease. I ran asus's ai suite turbo tuner and the thing set it to 4.9Ghz. I've been running a stress test on it for an hour. It hasn't gone above 70 degrees at all. Is this safe? What is a safe speed to oc an i5 6600k? Really scary. Or should i just follow that temperature guide and if it stays under 80 we are golden?

WildCard999

Titan
Yea the installation guide for the H100i is junk, the video guides on YT are much better. As for the 6600K 4.9 is realistic however make sure your not exceeding the max Vcore which is 1.4V. Doing so will lower the life of the CPU drastically (electromigration).

Solution