Question periodic bluescreens and random restarts

Dec 17, 2020
Hi,

I'm not too tech savvy and recently I got a pc that someone else built and the guy that built it did a fresh install of windows 10 home before giving it to me. Since then it has encountered random bluescreens after booting up. At first I would get tons of random bluescreens after booting, almost every one being a different stop code. After multiple fresh installs of windows 10 home, updating bios, windows, every driver that I could find, and enabling xmp, most of the bluescreening has stopped. A few days ago I got 3 bluescreens but was only able to catch one stop code: "system_service_exception." (not 100% sure about this).

I've tried scanning/repairing my hard drive (sfc scannow?) and using the windows verifier tool for drivers (but I'm not really even sure what it did other than increase my cpu usage). I've run memtest a few times which all came up 100% clear. I checked all my devices in device manager and none of the devices show any notification alerts except one that only shows up when I show hidden devices. lBtUSB_Filter_00 which has no hardware ID and says that it's currently not connected to my computer.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics drivers and since then my computer has been randomly restarting a few times. Most notably it would boot to desktop then immediately restart and after reaching the desktop it would be fine. It has restarted while idling a couple of times also. Through the event viewer, I saw that there were multiple critical errors "event 41, kernel-power." I checked all my windows power and startup settings and any automatic restart option that I could find was disabled and I looked and it seems like my psu connections and mobo are fine.

On a separate but perhaps related note, I am unable to play warzone without encountering multiple fatal errors. The only time I was able to play a game was when running it in safe mode.

Appreciate any help I can get! Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

specs
cpu: ryzen 5 3600
gpu: radeon rx 5700xt
ram: gskill ripjaw v series 16gb (8x2) 3200
mobo: asrock x570 phantom gaming itx/tb3
hard drive: wd blue sn550
psu: corsair 550 watt 80 plus brownze certified modular psu
case: nzxt h200

Reactions: xenthia

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Hi,

I'm not too tech savvy and recently I got a pc that someone else built and the guy that built it did a fresh install of windows 10 home before giving it to me. Since then it has encountered random bluescreens after booting up. At first I would get tons of random bluescreens after booting, almost every one being a different stop code. After multiple fresh installs of windows 10 home, updating bios, windows, every driver that I could find, and enabling xmp, most of the bluescreening has stopped. A few days ago I got 3 bluescreens but was only able to catch one stop code: "system_service_exception." (not 100% sure about this).

I've tried scanning/repairing my hard drive (sfc scannow?) and using the windows verifier tool for drivers (but I'm not really even sure what it did other than increase my cpu usage). I've run memtest a few times which all came up 100% clear. I checked all my devices in device manager and none of the devices show any notification alerts except one that only shows up when I show hidden devices. lBtUSB_Filter_00 which has no hardware ID and says that it's currently not connected to my computer.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics drivers and since then my computer has been randomly restarting a few times. Most notably it would boot to desktop then immediately restart and after reaching the desktop it would be fine. It has restarted while idling a couple of times also. Through the event viewer, I saw that there were multiple critical errors "event 41, kernel-power." I checked all my windows power and startup settings and any automatic restart option that I could find was disabled and I looked and it seems like my psu connections and mobo are fine.

On a separate but perhaps related note, I am unable to play warzone without encountering multiple fatal errors. The only time I was able to play a game was when running it in safe mode.

Appreciate any help I can get! Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

specs
cpu: ryzen 5 3600
gpu: radeon rx 5700xt
ram: gskill ripjaw v series 16gb (8x2) 3200
mobo: asrock x570 phantom gaming itx/tb3
hard drive: wd blue sn550
psu: corsair 550 watt 80 plus brownze certified modular psu
case: nzxt h200
Hi there after going through your motherboard's guide and specifications and compatibility pages, if these are the rams you are using:
https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-PC4-25600-3200MHz-F4-3200C16D-16GVKB/dp/B015FXXBW0

I am afraid that your CPU:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-3600
is codenamed "Matisse" and those RAM sticks are not compatible with that CPU. I am afraid the guy who built your PC for you did not go through the compatibility pages or test the PC himself. You either need to contact him, or you can just be nice to him ( if you want) and buy two ram sticks that are compatible with your CPU.
Choice is yours.
In any case, if you don't want to change the CPU go through the compatible memory ram sticks with the "Matisse" code name on your motherboard's page:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming-ITXTB3/index.asp#MemoryMS

Dec 17, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply!

Those are indeed the ram sticks that I'm running and I'll look into getting compatible ram. I don't mean to sound contradictory in any way, but I find this very interesting because the guy that built it was previously using the computer for a few months and it ran fine prior to his reformat before giving it to me. I have good reason to believe what he says, so I'm just curious as to how this could be possible?

thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Those are indeed the ram sticks that I'm running and I'll look into getting compatible ram. I don't mean to sound contradictory in any way, but I find this very interesting because the guy that built it was previously using the computer for a few months and it ran fine prior to his reformat before giving it to me. I have good reason to believe what he says, so I'm just curious as to how this could be possible?

also other than using pcpartpicker, is there anything else that I should be using to check ram compatibility?

thanks again!
Your RAM is fine. If you're using G.Skill memory all you have to do is input the motherboard info into their compatability tool and it will tell you exactly what kits will work. I did it for you and you'll find they are compatible. What model is your Corsair PSU? How old is it?

https://www.gskill.com/configurator?page=4&cls=1529635169&adSearch2=Capacity§16GB (8GBx2),Tested_Speed§3200MHz,&manufacturer=1524725289&chipset=1562578957&model=1568019824

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, it is the corsair cx series 550 watt 80 plus bronze certified modular power supply (cp-9020102-na) and it is under a year old.
Ok. The CX550M is a decent PSU but a little on the small side for a 5700 XT. Under high gaming load it can use up to 250 watts by itself at peak power. I wouldn't run out and replace it but a bigger, higher quality PSU would be better. Don't worry about your ram, it's fine.