Question Periodic BSODs, getting worse

Aug 31, 2020
Hello, Tom's Hardware. First time posting here, hope I've followed the instructions properly. If there are any issues, or more information is needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

Specs:

Speccy Link - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/INXRDtVRzuwiOgUGGMPkDwd

Or if you prefer:
  • OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, OS Build 19041, 450
  • CPU - Intel Core i7 3820 @ 3.6GHz, Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology
  • RAM - 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 796MHz
  • Mobo - ASRock X79 Extreme6
  • PSU - Rosewill 800W
  • GPU - ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 / HD 7970 Sapphire 3GB
  • Original OS was Windows 7, has since been entirely wiped and ran Windows 10 since release
  • Current OS installation is less than a year old
Details:

Minidump Google Drive Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oN8W0UklFxJ-9eajvSI-ws0F_-s3nOjo/view?usp=sharing

Not sure if the minidumps are allowed/needed, but wanted to follow through on everything.

My rig is getting a bit old, but upgrading/replacing parts isn't really a priority or in question. I've been having some BSOD issues as of late, although they've become much more frequent the past few days (going from 0-2 in a day to about one every hour or two!), which is concerning. The errors always seem to be a general fault (system service exception, access fault, kernel error, etc. (sorry, it's too sudden to grab a photo, and I don't know of any way to save a screen grab of a BSOD without another PC actively recording or something)). (Un)Fortunately, I've amassed quite a few minidumps. Windows install is less than a year old. I don't do much besides gaming, music making, some light Blender/Unity work, and things like YouTube, Discord, etc. PC isn't running anything truly essential nor is it hosting servers or anything like that. I feel like I've ran about every built-in check for memory and storage possible with Windows (everything I've tried so far will be listed below), so I'm completely out of ideas at this point.

Only thing I can think of now is to remove all but one 4GB stick of RAM, run the PC for a day or so, and see if there's any issues. This isn't exactly optimal as it will limit the PC's usage, and one of my RAM sticks is seated slightly under my CPU cooler, not sure if I could get it out without having to reapply thermal paste (which would take like two weeks through Amazon to arrive, no hardware shops around here really). I could get lucky and it might be one of the 3 other sticks. Alternatively, I could remove one at a time so performance isn't that impacted and see if that's the issue at hand. Not a big fan of shooting in the dark, especially when it comes to playing with hardware. Just an idea.

Another note, my internet service is shoddy at best where I live (downloading the most recent Windows 10 install .iso took about an hour, not counting restarting once due to a BSOD). If I take a while to get back, or have to take a bit to download test programs and the like, that's why. Ordering physical parts and new hardware is likewise limited, although not completely out of the question. If things get bad enough, I have a couple of cheap laptops and a great phone to work from externally, although let's hope that's not going to be the case haha.

Again, thank you for even taking the time to click/read my post. Been a long time since I've had any real PC issues, let alone had to ask for help online. I feel like I've tried all that I'm comfortable/familiar with doing on my own. If any more information is needed, please let me know. I'd like to try simple/easy/quick/cheap solutions before I start 12-hour memory tests, swapping out hardware, or ordering parts. Looking forward to some replies, getting a bit desperate, here. Thanks again, sorry for the lengthy post, trying to be thorough and don't want to miss any details.

Steps taken so far:
  • Ran and allowed Windows Update to install. Has always been set to automatic, no issues and everything is up-to-date according to Windows 10.
  • Updated BIOS to latest version with no errors. Truly a horrifying experience.
  • Ran check disk on all drives/SSDs, no errors. I'm still running one (older) HDD (D:\), it can go if it's the issue. OS is on an SSD (C:\).
  • Ran defrag/optimization on all drives, everything nominal, didn't even need to defrag HDD.
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic on default settings, no faults. I have no, admitteddly, ran the in-depth option or more than the default amount of passes, haven't had the time.
  • Ran MemTest86, no faults. Again, just ran the default settings for two passes.
  • Ensured RAM is seated properly, appears to be the case.
  • Ensured all storage cables are seated properly, no issues here.
  • Scanned with Windows Defender, no infections or errors.
  • Scanned with MalwareBytes, no infections or errors.
  • Reverted clock settings to default, still had same issues, returned to 4.00GHz automatic through BIOS. Reverted to factory 3.6GHz clock and all automatic settings just in case.
  • Ensured case/fans are clean and have proper airflow. Temperatures are normal idle and under load (less than ~60c or so at all times). Room has good airflow, isn't hot at all.
  • Created an external installation media disk using the Media Creation Tool and Rufus, just in case. Replacing hardware and fresh installing are fine if totally neccecary, but I'd like to keep that as a last resort.
  • Posted to r/TechSupport
  • Posted to Bleeping Computer

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020
Quick update: Memtest won't launch. Here's a graphic of what my boot USB looks like (All handled by imageUSB, following instructions included with MemTest86):

And here's my boot list when I start the PC:

Only working options are the first one (boots to Windows 10 normally, that's my OS drive) and the second one (opens Windows Recovery). Everything else is either networking, or just shows a black screen for the five-ten minutes I let it run.