Periodic Extended Freezes In-Game

Dec 20, 2018
Before I say anything, here are my specs:
Model: ASUS ROG Strix GL753VD
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 2.8GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5 128-bit
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Driver: 417.35

Recently no matter what game I get into I get this 1-5 second full freeze in-game. It happened first when I got GTA V and I thought it was a RAM or internet issue and tried a few fixes for that, most drastic being a periodic standby cache clear(Which Windows is supposed to do on its own anyway) and for a time I turned superfetch off.(Superfetch is back on now)

What leads me to believe it isn't an issue with internet or my RAM is that I was, just today, running a low spec game(Lego The Hobbit) and got the same periodic freeze. Just to check another game I ran Slime Rancher and got the same freeze.

I also know it's not my video memory because GTA monitors video memory usage. I also don't think Lego The Hobbit is a strain at all on my graphics card which is why I used it to test this, however Slime Rancher does have a pretty hefty graphics load. As far as RAM usage according to the ROG Gaming Center none of them push above 60%.

What also may be helpful to know is I close all background programs except for Discord and Spotify when running GTA and Slime Rancher and during The Hobbit I only had Discord running in the background.

Also the version of GTA I have is through Rockstar rather than Steam, but the other two games are from Steam.

This is literally all possible relevant information I could think of, just let me know if anymore is needed.

I'm also currently reinstalling my drivers, if this fixes things I'll make an edit saying so.

UPDATE: After reinstalling the driver I took a large truck through the most densely populated areas in the game I could think of, I tried to get density of cars and people, then drove through the canals for a bit to get some heavy particle effects going. In all that time I had only some minor stutters so I think I may just be a fool who needed to reinstall a driver.

Nov 23, 2018
This used to happen a lot to me with Minecraft, and it's usually independent from your computer's ability or what you're doing in game. Reinstalling the driver worked for me, so I'd say you're right on that one.