Question Periodic monitor flicker when Smart TV is also connected to AV receiver

Jun 4, 2023
Hi there,

I have the following setup here:

* PC with Radeon 7900 XT (also happened on the old rig with GTX 1060)
* 4K monitor connected via DP (also happend with the old 1080p monitor)
* 4K Smart TV (Sony) connected as 2nd screen via HDMI on an AV receiver

The HDMI "path" is: PC -> AV receiver -> Smart TV -> back to AV receiver via HDMI eARC

The PC sound is also going through HDMI from PC to AV receiver.

Problem is: The 4K monitor periodically flashes / flickers for a couple of seconds and also the sound signal is lost while doing so. When "finished" all is back to normal. This happens like 4 times an hour and is getting less the more time the Smart TV is in stand by. The problem goes away when I disconnect the eARC HDMI cable coming from Smart TV to the AV receiver or when the TV is running. It's like if the TV is looking for something periodically which causes connections to be reset or something.

Any suggestions are appreciated on which setting might cause this issue. The HDMI cable from PC to AV is rather cheap, could this be an issue? I tried switching off the TV's "control AV receiver via HDMI" functionality to no avail.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"The problem goes away when I disconnect the eARC HDMI cable coming from Smart TV to the AV receiver or when the TV is running."

The connection path(s) may be creating some sort of loop.

Sketch out a diagram showing all devices and connections including network, electrical, video, and audio.

Any loops of any sort? I.e.: A connected to B connected to C connected to D connected to A again?

Hi there,

I have the following setup here:

* PC with Radeon 7900 XT (also happened on the old rig with GTX 1060)
* 4K monitor connected via DP (also happend with the old 1080p monitor)
* 4K Smart TV (Sony) connected as 2nd screen via HDMI on an AV receiver

The HDMI "path" is: PC -> AV receiver -> Smart TV -> back to AV receiver via HDMI eARC

The PC sound is also going through HDMI from PC to AV receiver.

Problem is: The 4K monitor periodically flashes / flickers for a couple of seconds and also the sound signal is lost while doing so. When "finished" all is back to normal. This happens like 4 times an hour and is getting less the more time the Smart TV is in stand by. The problem goes away when I disconnect the eARC HDMI cable coming from Smart TV to the AV receiver or when the TV is running. It's like if the TV is looking for something periodically which causes connections to be reset or something.

Any suggestions are appreciated on which setting might cause this issue. The HDMI cable from PC to AV is rather cheap, could this be an issue? I tried switching off the TV's "control AV receiver via HDMI" functionality to no avail.
Is there an input you could use for the TV on the receiver that is not eARC? How is TV-related sound created; from a cable or satellite box or by the TV itself? If this happened with prior GPU and monitor the constant factors would seem to be the TV and AVR.

Jun 4, 2023
Thx for the thoughts. I fiddled around with settings and this is the result:

>Is there an input you could use for the TV on the receiver that is not eARC?
None that I could use for my purposes.

>How is TV-related sound created
By the TV itself. It is connected to the outside world via internet only.

>Any loops of any sort?
None except for the PC sound taking this route when the Smart TV is acting as 2nd screen: PC -> AV -> TV -> AV -> Speakers

However I deactivated what my AV calls "HDMI control" which is a convenience feature that lets sources control the AV's input select. That did something it seems although I am not sure if the problem really went away. I'll let you know.