[SOLVED] Peripherals stopped working upon RAM upgrade D:

Dec 31, 2018
I received new RAM (16gb DDR4 3200MHz TridentZ RGB LED by GSkill) for Christmas this year, and was hoping to upgrade the gaming PC that I built a couple summers ago. Upon installation, the RAM itself does not light up (not sure if that's normal or not), my USB mouse/keyboard do not light up or seem to be recognized at all, and my 2 monitors (one on HDMI the other on DVI) show "No Signal Detected" and/or enter Power Save Mode right away (although they always make a chime noise whether plugged into the GPU or the motherboard). The fans are working fine, the motherboard, CPU cooler, and GPU all light up as normal. There is a yellow POST LED error light illuminated on the motherboard indicating there is an issue with the DRAM. This was supposed to be the quickest and easiest thing to replace in your system... I have no idea what could have gone wrong here.

I tried re-installing the old RAM and it didn't fix the problem. Light is still yellow, and all other symptoms are identical.

I have triple checked with the motherboard manual to make sure all dimms are in their correct slots, and they are. Tried plugging just one dimm into the correct slot; no change. I am totally lost as to what's going on. Please help :(

Specs: Asus Strix Z270E gaming motherboard, Intel i5 7600K CPU, NZXT Kraken X52 CPU cooler, ROG GTX 1060 6GB GPU. New RAM is listed above, old RAM is Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR4 2400MHz.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Actually, I decided to remove the old dimm just now to see if I could find any evidence of damage. When I put it back in, I pushed in the middle of the dimm until it clicked, like I had before. But for some reason I also decided to put extra pressure on the top of the dimm (did nothing) and on the bottom as well. When I pushed on the bottom, I felt it slide in not even a millimeter further. Decided to try to boot and it worked perfectly (with the old RAM). Shut it down, replaced it with the new dimms. Pushed those until I felt the smallest movement on the bottom of the dimms, tried to boot, and everything is working perfectly now.
Dec 31, 2018
Actually, I decided to remove the old dimm just now to see if I could find any evidence of damage. When I put it back in, I pushed in the middle of the dimm until it clicked, like I had before. But for some reason I also decided to put extra pressure on the top of the dimm (did nothing) and on the bottom as well. When I pushed on the bottom, I felt it slide in not even a millimeter further. Decided to try to boot and it worked perfectly (with the old RAM). Shut it down, replaced it with the new dimms. Pushed those until I felt the smallest movement on the bottom of the dimms, tried to boot, and everything is working perfectly now.

Solution

jfriend00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
You're not the first to be in a panic that your system died or the RAM was ruined only to eventually find out the RAM sticks weren't properly seated into their slots. Same thing has happened to me before. Glad it's all working now.