[SOLVED] Peripherials not recognized by MB

Feb 26, 2020
System:
MB: ASRock 970M Pro3
CPU: AMD FX-8350
CPU fan: Zelman CNPS 7x
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
RAM: 8 GB (I don't remember the manufacturer or model, probably Kingston)
SSD: 250 GB (I don't remember the manufacturer or model, probably OCZ Trion)
PSU: 650 W (I don't remember the manufacturer or model)
All components except PSU and GPU have been used daily for about 5 years.

After noticing that my CPU temperatures are exceeding the safe temperature of 62 C and even reaching 70 C (the theoretical Tj) at some point during gaming even only on 60% load, I tried out some additional CPU monitoring apps (SpeedFan and Coretemp). I guess, I messed up something in the settings, because after turning on my PC (it was shut down for an hour before), the CPU temperature jumped to 54 C within a couple minutes and I got a tray notification that one of my clocks is approaching critical temperature. I immediately turned off the computer (the usual way through Start-Turn off). After turning it back, I found out that I have no image and my keyboard is not working on this PC anymore, so I can't acess BIOS. And I don't see anything on the screen. The mouse is working. The keyboard is working, when attached to my other computer (a laptop), but it's not working on the affected PC. I checked it on all USB ports. The CPU, GPU and case fans are working. The PSU is working. I tried to reset BIOS by removing and reinserting the CMOS battery. It didn't help. The thermopaste was replaced 3 months ago by technicians when they migrated my components to a new case with improved ventilation after my old PSU died off.

My guess is that the temperature emergency or Coretemp/Speedfan made Windows to override the BIOS somehow and my MB no longer recognizes my monitor and keyboard.

Or could it be that I have fried my CPU or MB?

Also, if my CPU is still functional, which CPU fan would you recommend for me in the future? Would Zelman 17x be powerful enough?

Solution
Using the jumper to reset the BIOS helped. I got everything working again. Currently I have deleted the monitoring software. But it would be nice, if someone would give me any suggestion about the temperature spikes (could they be false readings?) and would recommend me a new CPU cooler or CPU or both.
Feb 26, 2020
Using the jumper to reset the BIOS helped. I got everything working again. Currently I have deleted the monitoring software. But it would be nice, if someone would give me any suggestion about the temperature spikes (could they be false readings?) and would recommend me a new CPU cooler or CPU or both.

Solution
Feb 26, 2020
And the reason for temperature spikes was the specific way how "Mad Max" handles the CPU and GPU. After enabling Vsync and limiting framerate to 60 FPS, the temperatures returned to safe range where they remain even after an hour of gameplay and even on max settings. It turns out that I was not the only one who had problems with overheating when playing this game.

Last edited: