Permanant gray screen after login, windows explorer always crashes, no space to reset windows: All after an update

Apr 12, 2018
Hello guys, Im in some huge frustration with the incompetence of windows right now

I did a routine update last night before going to bed and everything worked normally, today after getting back home i went to turn my pc on and everything was fine until i logged in, the screen would go gray, showing the curser (and able to be moved).
Every time i go into task manager, windows explorer crashes, cant even unistall programs.

I tried start up repair 3 times, none worked.
I tried a system restore, none available (even though one is automatically made before an update)
I tried to reset windows 10, keeping files, wiping completely, not enough storage.
Tried running in safe mode, gray screen, windows explorer crashes.
Tried running in low res mode, same problem.
Tried unistalling programs through cmd, PRODUCT GET NAME is invalid.

What am i even supposed to do here? Windows have screwed me over here big time. Joke.

specs if needed:

GTX 670
AMD FX8300
Corsair 1666mhz ram 16gb (2x 8gb)
AS rock 970m
Windows 10

Solution
You didn't not post the disk on the specs.

At this point you might need to perform a clean Windows installation booting from an installation media (USB or DVD)
Go thru the setup steps until you see the installation type choice. Select the 'Custom' option to make sure of a clean installation (all content will be wiped out).
You will have the choice of partitioning the drive, however if there are many partitions, you could delete them all and allow Windows 10 to install itself in the 'unallocated' space.

If you need to backup your files before deleting the partitions then connect an external disk and select 'Repair your computer>Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
' and copy your files to the external disk.

If your...
You didn't not post the disk on the specs.

At this point you might need to perform a clean Windows installation booting from an installation media (USB or DVD)
Go thru the setup steps until you see the installation type choice. Select the 'Custom' option to make sure of a clean installation (all content will be wiped out).
You will have the choice of partitioning the drive, however if there are many partitions, you could delete them all and allow Windows 10 to install itself in the 'unallocated' space.

If you need to backup your files before deleting the partitions then connect an external disk and select 'Repair your computer>Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
' and copy your files to the external disk.

If your current drive does not have enough space to leave at least 20% free at all times, you might end-up in the same predicament, specially when Windows decide to upgrade you to a new version.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS