Permanent CPU Damage From Non-Permanent Heat?

JesseCampbell517

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
Hi,
I recently built a new gaming rig, including a GTX 1070, which happened to come with the game: Watch Dogs 2. I love the game but a problem I have is my CPU getting to around 90 degrees max when I play the game, while my GPU remains at a steady 70. My CoolerMaster Hyper T4 is at it's max speed. I know these levels of heat can be harmful to my CPU, which is the I7 6700K, so I ordered a new CPU cooler, the Cryorig R1 Ultimate. The problem is, the cooler will not come for another couple of weeks, so if I continue to play the game, will my CPU face permanent damage? Should I stop playing the game until my new CPU heat sink comes? I have already been playing the game for a couple of hours and I hope my CPU has not faced any damage.
Thanks.

Solution
Those temps will not hurt a stock CPU. Intel validates these chips to run safely and reliably up to 100c. I'm not going to recommend running close to the max "safe" temperature forever, but be aware that 90c is normal in laptops using these same CPUs, and in data centers, where reliability is crucial.
Those temps will not hurt a stock CPU. Intel validates these chips to run safely and reliably up to 100c. I'm not going to recommend running close to the max "safe" temperature forever, but be aware that 90c is normal in laptops using these same CPUs, and in data centers, where reliability is crucial.

Solution