[SOLVED] Permanent disable network adapters and bluetooth on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Dear all

I have a laptop, which I use for backup of files and also for my kids to play on. I would like that it stays "isolated".

1)
Are bluetooth and network adapters the only way that someone could access the laptop externally?

2)
Is there a more effective / permanent way to disable network adapters and bluetooth, than by deactivating them in device mananger?
In BIOS?

Thanks in advance for replying

Best regards

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Dear all,

I have looked through BIOS several times. It's an ASUS. I have looked on the front page of BIOS, on Advanced page, and on Advanced page in Advanced settings. According to other people online, then Bluetooth and Network card would be shown in Avanced > Devices. There is nothing in my BIOS that is named Devices. The laptop is premade from shop.

Why can't I find Bluetooth and Network card in my BIOS?

If Bluetooth and Network card is not to be found in BIOS, is there then other effective ways to disable them, besides deactivate them in Device manager or take them out of the laptop?

Thank you in advance for replying

Best regards

Dear all

I have a laptop, which I use for backup of files and also for my kids to play on. I would like that it stays "isolated".

1)
Are bluetooth and network adapters the only way that someone could access the laptop externally?

2)
Is there a more effective / permanent way to disable network adapters and bluetooth, than by deactivating them in device mananger?
In BIOS?

Thanks in advance for replying

Best regards

As long as Windows Home is supported on that device, I would definitely 'switch out' first.
  1. USB drives can still be used to load stuff onto (and remove/copy stuff from) the computer.
  2. As others have said, physically removing the WiFi and Bluetooth card is a pretty permanent solution. Also, disabling the cards in BIOS (preferrably with a BIOS password lock), is another solution.
Disabling the WiFi and Bluetooth cards in Device Manager and then creating a guest account for the kids works too. Normally, you can only do this in Windows Pro or higher but here's how to do it in Home - https://www.howtogeek.com/280527/how-to-create-a-guest-account-in-windows-10/

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
As long as Windows Home is supported on that device, I would definitely 'switch out' first.
  1. USB drives can still be used to load stuff onto (and remove/copy stuff from) the computer.
  2. As others have said, physically removing the WiFi and Bluetooth card is a pretty permanent solution. Also, disabling the cards in BIOS (preferrably with a BIOS password lock), is another solution.
Disabling the WiFi and Bluetooth cards in Device Manager and then creating a guest account for the kids works too. Normally, you can only do this in Windows Pro or higher but here's how to do it in Home - https://www.howtogeek.com/280527/how-to-create-a-guest-account-in-windows-10/
Thank you for your replies

I have looked many times BIOS, in advanced pages etc. Neither Network card or Bluetooth is to found. How can that be?

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Bluetooth and Network card is disabled in Device Manager.
Is it possible, that someone still can get access to the laptop from the outside / externally, by “waking” / activating Bluetooth and Network card? Without them having physical access to the laptop. I know, that its getting really theoretical and “blown up”.

I have looked many times BIOS, in advanced pages etc. Neither Network card or Bluetooth is to found. How can that be?
Because there is no requirement that they be so listed.

Bluetooth and Network card is disabled in Device Manager.
Is it possible, that someone still can get access to the laptop from the outside / externally, by “waking” / activating Bluetooth and Network card? Without them having physical access to the laptop. I know, that its getting really theoretical and “blown up”.
Perhaps, maybe the NSA, but no, once the hardware is disabled in BIOS or via the Device Manager the hardware no longer exists to the outside world. You've been told multiple times now to simply disable the devices and give the kids only a standard user account. They cannot turn things back on without admin access. In addition place a password on BIOS and you're done.

Reactions: Oblivion77

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Because there is no requirement that they be so listed.

Perhaps, maybe the NSA, but no, once the hardware is disabled in BIOS or via the Device Manager the hardware no longer exists to the outside world. You've been told multiple times now to simply disable the devices and give the kids only a standard user account. They cannot turn things back on without admin access. In addition place a password on BIOS and you're done.
Thank you for your reply

"once the hardware is disabled in BIOS or via the Device Manager the hardware no longer exists to the outside world"
Disabling either in BIOS or Device Manager, is equally effective? And almost the same would you say?

"to simply disable the devices"
In Device Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.