[SOLVED] Permanently change (logitech) webcam Names

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
I have 3 Logitech 920 webcams I am using to watch my property. How do I permanently change the names of the cams (i.e. backyard, driveway, frontyard). I any software I use they are all listed with the same name. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards, Erik

Solution
Thanks for your reply

Using a custom ffmpeg program I wrote. The program works fine. Its just when I get the list of available cameras (I have 4) the first 2, both Logitech, list with the exact same name. And they switch positions so I never know which I am choosing.

It seems your program just uses the device manager name. You may be able to change that in the registry but I never looked into changing any hardware names past what Windows detects it at. To actually change the camera so one is Logitech A and other is Logitech B you would need to actually re-write the hardware ID on the device itself so Windows sees it as that device, something similar to what scammers do when they flash the wrong BIOS or swap chips on video...

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
What software are you using? You can't set the camera label in it? That is very odd, I don't know of any security software where you can't name the cameras.

Thanks for your reply

Using a custom ffmpeg program I wrote. The program works fine. Its just when I get the list of available cameras (I have 4) the first 2, both Logitech, list with the exact same name. And they switch positions so I never know which I am choosing.

Thanks for your reply

It seems your program just uses the device manager name. You may be able to change that in the registry but I never looked into changing any hardware names past what Windows detects it at. To actually change the camera so one is Logitech A and other is Logitech B you would need to actually re-write the hardware ID on the device itself so Windows sees it as that device, something similar to what scammers do when they flash the wrong BIOS or swap chips on video cards to make fake ones.

Solution

EzRiIgK

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
It seems your program just uses the device manager name. You may be able to change that in the registry but I never looked into changing any hardware names past what Windows detects it at. To actually change the camera so one is Logitech A and other is Logitech B you would need to actually re-write the hardware ID on the device itself so Windows sees it as that device, something similar to what scammers do when they flash the wrong BIOS or swap chips on video cards to make fake ones.

Thanks for the reply, because the camera have the same name, I use the system (registry) id to be able to bring the camera up separately. I believe, like you said, that the names are in the Registry. However, I believe the names are coded as a search by the camera name show no results.