Permissions for new drive

Is there a way to re-permission a newly formatted drive thru a script. We
use xp and by default when it formats a drive it gives the users group only
read access. You cant manage the root of the drive from remote computers so
right now our only option is to go everymachine log in and set the
permissions to give users write access. If anyone knows of any scripts that
will do this I would be greatly appreciated.

JayH wrote:
> Is there a way to re-permission a newly formatted drive thru a
> script. We use xp and by default when it formats a drive it gives
> the users group only read access. You cant manage the root of the
> drive from remote computers so right now our only option is to go
> everymachine log in and set the permissions to give users write
> access. If anyone knows of any scripts that will do this I would be
> greatly appreciated.

Utilities to look for:

setacl
http://setacl.sourceforge.net/

cacls
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cacls.mspx
and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162786

xcacls
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318754

Use batch scripts.

--
<- Shenan ->

cacls and xcacl does not work at the root of a drive, it only works for
folders within a drive. I been using it for several years but have not found
a function that would allow me to re-permission the root of a drive.

Jay

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> JayH wrote:
> > Is there a way to re-permission a newly formatted drive thru a
> > script. We use xp and by default when it formats a drive it gives
> > the users group only read access. You cant manage the root of the
> > drive from remote computers so right now our only option is to go
> > everymachine log in and set the permissions to give users write
> > access. If anyone knows of any scripts that will do this I would be
> > greatly appreciated.
>

> Utilities to look for:
>
> setacl
> http://setacl.sourceforge.net/
>
> cacls
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cacls.mspx
> and
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162786
>
> xcacls
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318754
>
> Use batch scripts.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Sorry I was wrong it does work with the root of the drive sorry for the
trouble, but do you know of any way to automate the format.com command? Iam
using the runonce command with RIS to deploy machines.

Jay