[SOLVED] Permissions to Install ?

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Downloaded Fortnite and tried to install it and had an install error because no permission to install to C:\Program Files\Fortnite, even if I ran the installer as admin.

FAQ helped, and I had to go in to security and messed around a bunch more in there than I would want to and added myself in with full permissions.

Question is... the only account with full permissions seemed to be TrustedInstaller, and my access despite being an Admin, was almost nothing.

That make sense?

Not sure why, but last week I installed Win10... just cleaning up the software. Did a full deletion of all partitions down to an unpartitioned drive and installed. So no old system being updated or overwritten. I've done it numerous times before, 0 issues. Had to do it 3x this time because system was just acting wonky... not finding drivers, sleep mode at random despite being turned off, folder views resetting etc... Not sure what the deal is, hoping to avoid another format.... for basic Windows folders (program files, program files (x86), windows) what should the permissions be? and why would I the only user and admin, not have write access?

Solution
Question is... the only account with full permissions seemed to be TrustedInstaller, and my access despite being an Admin, was almost nothing.

That make sense?
Yes, that is how it should be.

There are users windows uses to carry out the actions you ask it to do. So it has users called TrustedInstaller and System that will have higher access than you do. If you were only admin nothing would work. Sometimes I would love to see an OS where you have to approve everything as it happens... you wouldn't get any time to actually do anything.

having said that
Downloaded Fortnite and tried to install it and had an install error because no permission to install to C:\Program Files\Fortnite, even if I ran the installer as admin.

Colif

Win 11 Master

That make sense?
Yes, that is how it should be.

There are users windows uses to carry out the actions you ask it to do. So it has users called TrustedInstaller and System that will have higher access than you do. If you were only admin nothing would work. Sometimes I would love to see an OS where you have to approve everything as it happens... you wouldn't get any time to actually do anything.

having said that
You should have access to allow the game to have the ability to do that. You shouldn't need to mess with permissions. That can just lead to needing a 4th install in so many weeks.

Try making a new local user and make it admin - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d
while logged into normal user, go to C:/users
copy the contents of the old user folder onto the new one, this gives it the same access as your other user and means you don't have to reinstall everything
does it have same problem with permissions? if it works, its easy enough to switch users, and its always handy to have a spare admin user around. ALl you would need to dd is log into a few programs again and set up a desktop.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution