Perpetually loading mouse cursor in Windows 8!

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Something very sad happened with my brand new ASUS F751M laptop today. :(

I was using my word processor, and my touchpad was driving me mad because it kept moving my cursor around as I was typing, messing up my text. So, I tried to deactivate it, which I couldn't find a way to do except by uninstalling it. Which I did. (I'm very ignorant about Win8 btw, I can barely find anything in this OS.) Anyway, that didn't help at all of course.

What it did though was causing me even further problems. The mouse pointer started to flash/blink constantly, you know with the little loading circle symbol. I've been trying to reading up online about this but have so far found no solution.

This is what I've tried already:
*reinstalling latest touchpad drivers from ASUS.
*tried a different mouse
and umm.. I guess other things but these are the biggies I can remember, but, nothing has worked.. and it's driving me mad.... :(

Also, the computer has started to make an occassional "hard" clicking sound, if it's coming from the HD or whatever I have no idea. But it never made this ominous sound before this cursor incident happened. I'm getting kinda paranoid and spooked by this, I so hope I haven't done anything that's ruined my brand new little laptop.. :(
(I've had it for about a week..)

Thank you very much in advance to anyone of you tech wizards who can help me out with this nightmare!

Rob the Swede

Did you... restart the computer? Restart the computer and see if the mouse pointer is back to normal. In the Control Panel, go to your mouse pointers and you can select the mouse image for different events (i.e. loading, hovering over text, etc.). Make sure that the normal mouse is set to the pointer and not the loading circle. The clicking noise is likely the HDD. It's a sign of its decreasing life.

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
@turkey3

Thank you for your reply. Yep, I've tried restarting, and that didn't do it I'm afraid. I also checked the mouse image now like you said, and it looked right there, so it has to be something else.

What you said about the noise makes me scared! :( A brand new computer shouldn't sound like this.. =(

I mean it's not all the time or anything, but it's a very disconcerting sound when it does happen, even though it's abrupt. I have a 6 year old other computer as well, and it has never made this kind of sound... =(

Also, this nasty clicking sound happened after this cursor event... I never heard it once before (even though this laptop is just one week old..)

I don't see how some cursor problem could relate to HDD clicking. Anyway, if it's of any comfort my HDD makes the clicking noise every so often, still running strong. What word processor did you uninstall that you say caused this?

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
No I uninstalled the touchpad drivers, because I don't want the touchpad at all, since' I'm always using a mouse. But, the word processor I use is Kingsoft Office.

And yes, thank you, that is a bit of a comfort. :D

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Ah, yeah, I know better now. =)

But, yep, I've installed the latest drivers from ASUS website, but still, nothing. I mean, everything works, the mouse works, the touchpad works, it's just that everloading mouse cursor that never seems to go away, and it's driving me nuts. But maybe I should try to learn to live with it... :(

RobtheSwede

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
LOL! That kinda semi-worked, the loading circle dissappeared, but the mousepointer started to get jittery instead, like it was having seizures. But this is definitely better than having the loading circle flashing constantly.