Persistant No/Low memory toshiba vista

pizzacat

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I get messages saying i am running out of memory and I should delete old programs, files, etc. I don't use. I have removed my games, pictures, videos, documents, camera software, ipod stuff, itunes stuff and I still have this problem. I don't know enough about computers to delete things that 'sound' important. This problem has only started about a month ago and is very frustrating. After deleting a ton of videos and freed up 1 gig of space, "something" took the space up and I was left with no space left in the matter of a few days.

UniqueName

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
When it prompts you to delete stuff it should have offered a Disk Cleanup Wizard. It will show you how much it can automatically cleanup. You can go to Properties of a drive to run Disk Cleanup manually. You can also cleanup System Restore files under the More Options tab.

However, if something is taking up space you need to find the culprit. Open Windows Explorer, Select C Drive and enter the following in the Search field
size:>10MB date:>2/1/2011
Click Search Tools and enable Search Pane.
Expand Advanced Search on the right and check Include system files.
Look for anything suspicious in the results.
If you get too many or too few results change the numbers a bit.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
How much do you have available as opposed to overall Space?
Did it say "virtual memory" by chance?
Did it specify the drive letter? It may be your recovery partition, if you have one.