Question Persistent 1-2% Packet Loss Issue (Cox)

Stinger86

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2013
Hey guys,

I am trying to resolve a very persistent 1% packet loss issue. That is, I ping google.com or amazon.com using "ping google.com -n 500" and I just wait, and I get anywhere from 1%-2% packet loss back fairly consistently. Sometimes I'll get 0% but there will have still been dropped packets in any given sequence where I ping the server for a duration of 500 times.

I have had 2 tech visits so far from Cox. The first guy seemed well-meaning and went into the attic and removed a splitter and added an amp. He said my TX signal looked good. Same exact issue continued after he left.

The second guy did check the pole outside the house but he did not seem very knowledgeable. He did a cursory check of my modem, also said the TX looked good, and he fed me some story about a Cox plant in Atlanta experiencing an explosion which led to some issues in my area (this seemed like utter BS to me and that he just wanted to tell me a story so he could leave and not do any further work).

I recently decided to replace my SB8200 modem and my RT-AC68U router, both from 2019, with a Netgear Nighthawk CM1200 and a Netgear Nighthawk AX5400 (totaling a bit over $400).
Today I replaced my old coax cable with a brand new RG6 coax.

I am STILL getting the same results. Just now I sent 500 requests, lost 3. This rounds down to 0% but I'm sure if I keep doing this tonight I'll eventually hit 1% or 2%. And I know from prior experience that if everything is working as it should and there no signal issues, I should consistently get no packets dropped.

The issue persists the exact same way regardless of time of day, so I do not think it's related to neighborhood peak usage times.

I am directly wired over brand new (week old) Cat8 ethernet cables going directly from my Windows 11 desktop PC to the router. I replaced the cable going from my PC to the router and the cable going from my router to the modem.

What are my next steps here? I have heard some talk about Pingplotter but I'm not sure exactly what would be the best way to employ it and get data that the ISP can't ignore. I had downloaded a free trial but it has expired.

I play competitive FPS and sometimes deal with minor hitreg or teleportation issues and I have no way of knowing if it's because of the packet loss at play, but it's very annoying and very persistent.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I though pingplotter was a free software.

In any case you best option is to do it manually yourself.

Just run a tracert and then start to ping the various hops in the path trying to find the first that gets the loss. In most cases it will be hop 2 which is the connection to your ISP.

You of course should start with hop1 which will be your router. You seldom see issues but if you bought a cat8 cable it is likely a fake. Real cat8 cable are only used on 40gbit ports and are really expensive. Cat5e is all you need for 1gbit.
Key is the cable must be pure copper (no CCA) and must have wire size 22-24 (none of that flat or thin cable). Now most the fake cable work most the time or they would not be able to sell it. It just has much more issues than certified ethernet cables. If you see no loss ping to the router it is not likely the cable