Persistent 'boot disk failure' + fried two HDDs

although

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I replaced my 550 Watt bfg psu with a 850watt thermaltake and that's when the problems began.

As I turned the computer on, a small spark appeared near the power cable going into my hard drive and then I got a boot disk failure message.

Hard drive won't be seen in bios setup anymore and plugging it in into another computer display boot disk failure again. Upon inspecting the hdd, there is clear damage on the pcb board.

Went to the store and bought and SSD. Plugged it in, and got my windows 8.1 bootable disc ready in my dvd drive to install Windows on the ssd. I get boot disk failure again and my computer won't read the bootable disk. I tried with a bootable USB drive, same thing. However, the Kingston SSD does show up in bios setup. After many tries, I obtained the hdd from my sisters computer in an attempt to setup windows from there and install it onto the SSD.... Fried her hard drive as well...

I have reset the bios, and the cmos jumpers but this doesn't do anything.

I tried my old 550 Watt psu and I get the same boot disk failure message.

I dont know what the problem is anymore. I'm so confused? Did my new psu fry my hdd and my motherboard? Is that why nothing works now? What's the problem? The only thing left is the motherboard but I don't have backup one to check.

Here are my specs:

Former 550 Watt psu, now thermaltake 850watt smart m series
Q6600 2.4ghz quad cpu
Lga 775 socket mobo (from acer ase700 computer)
4gb ddr2 ram(now only 1gb is in cause I read somewhere that you should try that)
Fried 500gb Seagate barracuda, now 240gb Kingston ssd (I really hope I didn't fry it)
Ati radeon 6870 (currently removed, because the computer was failing post and making one long beep, two short beeps ((read that that mean mobo failure on Phoenix beep code page))
Phoenix/award bios

Please help me, I've developed a chronic headache from this and I lost my essay which is due on Tuesday. I'm super demoralized right now.

Thank you

although

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
Additionally, I know for a fact that the new 850 Watt thermaltake I installed wasn't previously malfunctioning because it was in my dad's pc for a year and worked fine. But I'm not sure what caused these power surges to fry both hard drives