Question Persistent BSODs for several months

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 5, 2020
Hey everyone, I've been having issues with BSOD's for several months now, I don't remember exactly when they started but probably sometime around March. My system is a weird Frankenstein of part sources, a parts list will be at the end of this post. After looking at posts on this forum and elsewhere for help for months, I've decided to start my own that way I can upload the minidumps. The crashes are pretty persistent, averaging every other day. Here's a list of what I've tried so far, in roughly chronological order:

Scanned HDD and SSD for errors, none found
Scanned Windows files for errors, none found
Reinstalled windows, keeping personal files and apps. Unfortunately this means everything except the past 2 minidumps have been lost. Many had the stopcode or bugcheck of 0x154, and other memory related codes
Scanned memory with memtest86 a total of 12 passes, and one pass with windows memory diagnostic, no errors found
I also ran BlueScreenView in hopes the minidumps would have a simple answer, but unfortunately both point to ntoskrnl.exe, and the same address, +3ddf40. I don't know how to better process the dumps, but am willing to do so if directed to information on how to do it. Many of these threads end with the user uploading the minidump for someone else to look at, with no explanation of how that is done.

If anyone has any advice or would like to see the dumps, I'll do the best I can to comply.

Specs:
CPU: i7-6700, no overclock
RAM: 16 GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz clock, no xmp, DDR4, corsair, SKU CMK16GX4M2Z2400C16
SSD: Kingston SA400S37480G
HDD: ST2000DM008-2FR102, ST2000DM001-1ER164, WDC WD7501AAES-60Z2A0
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 XC, RMA'd once
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H110-D3A, latest BIOS
PSU: Seasonic 620 Watts

Thank you for any and all help.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/oktqha5y/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:081720-12453-01.dmp (Aug 17 2020 - 08:05:52)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 56 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

This dump isn't point directly to any driver. What all hardware tests have you run so far? I see memtest86. Anything else? Have you run any tests on the drives yet? If not, consider doing so.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Aug 5, 2020
I've run memtest86, stress tested my gpu although that was a few months ago, checked the drive SMART info and the boot ssd is good, as is the 2 drives with my important stuff on them(on has 100 reallocated sectors but its stable), and my last 750gig drive has a stable 179 reallocated sectors, and doesn't have anything of importance on it. All info was gotten with Crystal Disk Info.

There haven't been any signs that seem obvious to me to point towards a CPU issue, other than memtest86 crashing on core 6 consistently. However, many people online claim it crashes at a somewhat high rate, or at least it did in the past.

OCCT has a CPU stress testing utility in it, should I run that? I haven't used it before but it looks like it hits the cpu with a bunch of pre-calculated operations and then looks for errors. It can also do Intels LINPACK test.

gardenman

Splendid
I haven't used that CPU test myself. I usually recommend Prime95 for CPU testing.

I'm not a disk expert. I know you said it's stable, but could there be a possibility it's still causing the crashes? I think so. Can you temporarily remove the drives in question or is your system on the drive?

Aug 5, 2020
I can remove the 750 gigabyte drive, windows is on the SSD which is in good shape, and all of the other programs I use are on the one 1TB so I can't really remove that and keep the system functional. The only other drive I have was added after the crashes started happening, only 2 weeks ago.

I'll check out prime95, and run it and remove the drive when I can.

Edit: prime95 seems to just be a stress test, does it have error correction/detection?

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/6fLcuvgb/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:082020-13937-01.dmp (Aug 20 2020 - 01:50:12)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (154)
Probably caused by:hardware_disk (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)

Colif has been busy lately so be patient on his reply.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Edit: Results from dump below: https://jsfiddle.net/wLn2y8qs/show

File information:082020-12000-01.dmp (Aug 20 2020 - 13:24:55)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (154)
Probably caused by:hardware_disk (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 11 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020
Prime95 has been running for 2.5 hours now, and the 750 gigabyte drive has been unplugged. My PC wouldn't turn on but it was due to the power button line coming unplugged, so a simple fix. Prime95 hasn't run into any issues, and my cpu (with the case open) is at a faily consistent 60c, with spikes up to 75 at the beginning. No temperature values that I can see are abnormally high for a stress test, although "TMPIN2" on the mobo is only 1 or 2 degrees cooler than the hottest cpu cores. Prime95's website says to run for 3 hours, so I'll wait another 30 minutes and then stop it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its probably my fault. My GPU died on Monday last week and I really didn't have a way to answer until the weekend when I made a new PC and then wanted to test it. I am usually always here

And even then the errors aren't helping me fix the problem for you :(

You can always ask on other forums who might get an answer I can't seem to find. Places like Sysynative or Tenforums have good people who can help out, many of who come here .

Aug 5, 2020
Hi Knot,

If your at the clutching at straws point, can you answer me this ... do you have multiple account logins on your pc and are you having to login twice on some occasions, with the login screen refreshing on boot up ?

I do not have multiple logins, nor does the login screen refresh, I'm assuming that means that I would log in twice?

I only have one account on this PC, and only ever have to log in once after a crash.

Aug 24, 2020
I do not have multiple logins, nor does the login screen refresh, I'm assuming that means that I would log in twice?

I only have one account on this PC, and only ever have to log in once after a crash.
Hi,
A long story short, i was experiencing similar issues as yourself. Mine also related to kernel crashes and the exact same address you posted, which lead me to your post. I could also find no fault whilst running numerous diagnostic type programs, etc …
A separate issue, relating to the duplicate logins, also resolved my kernel crashes.
The separate issue related to an old Win bug that causes double logins. I didn’t have all the same symptoms, but the same solution resolved my issue also.
I realise this is a big leap, based on an identical memory error, but the 'fix' is easy to try and nothing to lose at this point! (that’s where I was also)
Don't expect great things, but my resolution was this:
Click the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
In the Privacy section, turn off Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart.

Aug 5, 2020
Hi,
A long story short, i was experiencing similar issues as yourself. Mine also related to kernel crashes and the exact same address you posted, which lead me to your post. I could also find no fault whilst running numerous diagnostic type programs, etc …
A separate issue, relating to the duplicate logins, also resolved my kernel crashes.
The separate issue related to an old Win bug that causes double logins. I didn’t have all the same symptoms, but the same solution resolved my issue also.
I realise this is a big leap, based on an identical memory error, but the 'fix' is easy to try and nothing to lose at this point! (that’s where I was also)
Don't expect great things, but my resolution was this:
Click the Start button, then select Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
In the Privacy section, turn off Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart.
Thank you savager, I'll try that.

Aug 5, 2020
Hey mate - by any chance did this little neat trick solved your problem?
I'm having the same issue as well! same symptoms and it has been going on for months...
sending my PC to be diagnosed because I thought (and still think actually) that is hardware related...
Well Zuko, first off nice name lol

Second, I also think it is hardware related, and I also just switched that flag about an hour and a half ago, so its yet to crash but that doesn't mean much.

Unfortunately for you though, I also just did a drive swap, so its going to be a while before I know if his recommendation helped, the drive was bad, the cable was bad, or if removing winring0 is what fixed it, if anything. I'll post then.

Aug 26, 2020
Hi, having the same kind of issues if somebody can Please help me, i don't know what to do anymore i Try all the things here and other stuff aswell, if anyone can see the dumpfiles and tell me what do you see in it would be extremely helpful.
The dump files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_JqH7T6wfP1Uwgr5-Q-8kb3ptIO7jrBM?usp=sharing

I have a tomahawk b450 motherboard
cpu 3600 x
raedon5600 xt 6gb
16 gb VENGEANCE LPX 2x8gb 3200mhz
one ssd 500gb
one HDD 500GB
one HDD 2TB