Question Persistent random black screening. Finally got minidumps to work though!

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
I've posted about this before.

In short, I built a new PC. It started black screening in games and then randomly. All roads led to my GPU being faulty, but MSI insisted I try the GPU in another rig to see if it fails, before proceeding with the RMA process.

I put my old GPU (Zotac 3080ti) in my new PC and my new GPU (MSI 4090) in my old PC. There were no problems. The 4090 worked fine in the old PC and the 3080ti worked fine in the new PC.

So I put the 4090 back in the new rig, did a fresh install of Windows and reflashed the BIOS. Everything was fine for awhile until it randomly black screened while just being idle.

In desperation, I upgraded to Windows 11 and it did not fix the issue. This time around though, Reliability Monitor and Event Viewer were less consistent in their reports. I used to always see Hardware Errors but now most of the time it just says Windows Stopped Working.

A benefit to upgrading to Windows 11 is that minidumps started to work. So here's the latest minidump.

(I think this link only works once. It deletes after downloading. Let me know if there's a better method for safely sharing files.)

I'm at my wits end. I don't know how to proceed with this, especially since I cannot reliably replicate the issue and swapping components didn't reveal anything. If any one can pull any information from this minidump that can shed some light on the issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021

Here's a Google drive link for that latest minidump.

The PC has been continuing to black screen. At least half the time now it's restarting on its own. It never did that when on Windows 10.

Since that last minidump, dumps have failed to be created, which shows up as a critical error in Event Viewer.

I also updated my Samsung 970 EVO drivers and it made no difference. I ran Samsung Magician and it showed that everything was fine.

Please, if anyone can make sense of what's going on with this PC through that minidump that would be amazing.

Last edited: