Persistent Windows 10 Update

subwayblackpool

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Hi,

I have never agreed to install Windows 10 or reserved my copy, however a few days ago I was met with a 'Windows 10 will begin installing in 15:00 minutes' countdown window. I deleted the relevant updates KB3035583 and KB2976978 & changed the update settings to 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them' & presumed the problem was sorted... It wasn't. I have since encountered the same countdown twice, checked the update history & the updates I previously deleted have been restored! The update settings have not been changed & I have not agreed to install any updates since deleting the two stated above. I really don't want to continue having to delete these updates every other day just to encounter the same problem again; Windows 10 seems unavoidable! Does anyone have any ideas?

subwayblackpool

Commendable
May 18, 2016
VincentP - Thank you for your help, that has seemingly fixed the problem. When I got on to the Check for Updates window the Windows 10 update was already checked! I then unchecked it, hovered over the shut down button & Windows was still going to install the update! So you do indeed have to right click & hide the updates. What is the point of the check box next to the update if it installs it regardless? Microsoft are making it harder & harder to avoid Windows 10, this is extremely underhanded.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Unfortunately MS has issued yet another forced Win10 upgrade that re-enables the hidden updates (just ran across this myself, then searched and read). Not sure if never 10 is still viable, but best bet is to disable auto-updates and be prepared to redo.