Question Person Cloud Storage

Feb 26, 2019
Hello all I'm new to this forum. I hope someone can give me some insight to my dilemma. I have a fair amount of content that I would like to have access to anywhere in the world anytime without complex problems arising. I want to keep it as simple as possible however I don't mind putting in some work to get things setup. I want the ability to access my information form multiple different devices and operating systems through the internet. I would like to have the ability to stream my content such as videos and music. I won't have multiple devices streaming simultaneously as it will primarily be used by me and my fiance only. I have above average experience with a few Linux distributions and of course windows. I'm not quite a guru, however I'm willing to learn. Indo not have any experience with networking other then setting up a basic home network with a Nas enclosure. Should I build my own media server using software such as freenas or something else? Or just buy one designed to do what I want. I would defenatly need some help along the way and I'm leaning towards the freenas/opensource method as I love tinkering and building. I would like it to be secure as possible. I just have no clue where to start. It's not a easy subject to find information on. I have the hardware and drives already so it would save me money. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

To host your own media server, #1 u gotta have decent upload speed.

Host your own: more control, allows running a server like plex, practically unlimited storage. DIY assembly and maintenance.

Cloud storage: Free for modest plain storage, "they" do the maintenance. Server hosting costs more.

The easiest way to do that, while maintaining reasonable security without opening too many holes - install a VPN server onto your router (or invest in a router with such a capability), and whenever you need content from your home, VPN into it. That way, the device you're using at the moment will appear as being connected to your home LAN/WiFi.