Pet Peeves! - Graphics Forum

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Let's here 'em!

I know the regulars here, and the moderators alike, all have pet peeves in these forums. I've been trolling the Graphics forums exclusively for a while now. I've seen enough now and feel comfortable enough to share a few of my pet peeves here:

1. People who ask for help choosing a GPU, yet fail to list ANY of the required info we need (budget, cpu, mobo, ram, psu, if they have a brand preference, etc)

2. People who ask for a recommendation for a GPU, only to argue with our recommendation because it's not the brand they wanted (yet failed to state in their original post)

3. Spelling/Grammar. Yes, I understand that not everyone who posts here learned English as their first language, that's perfectly understandable. I'm referring to the "ur" and "plz" people, the people who transitioned their texting skills to the keyboard and think it's acceptable. These are people I want to beat repeatedly with a phone book.

4. People who ask "what type of GPU can I get with this motherboard?" and list their HP pc name. It takes 5 seconds of Google people, you took more time typing this post for help than it would have taken you to Google it and get your answer.

5. Fanboys. I don't think anyone likes them.

What about your pet peeves?

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
A lot of your peeves are the reasons there are stickies. Of course, they are not failproof and a lot of people will not even bother to look at them. Also, when you help people, you always have to remind yourself that not everyone is as knowledgeable in regards of computer hardware, the right combination of hardware, how to set up the hardware correctly, and all the other basic rudimentary. It'll help you control your patience a lot easier.

The only peeve I have is when people who come here for help yet they do not want to apply the help that is given. These people usually "think" they know better than others when in fact they do not and they become unwilling to agree with the people who are trying to help. It's similar to your #2 but in a broader sense. Other than that, I can deal with pretty much anything that might be deemed annoying.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Oh yeah, I'm not "complaining" really, most of these are general little ticks. I help anyway (you'll find a majority of my posts are in responses to threads that involve my own pet peeves).

I just wanted to see what others would come up with.

I'm not a big fan of responses that don't answer the question being posed in the thread. I understand and appreciate tangents and getting a little off topic, but we should try to be more helpful and editorialize less. For example, I recently asked about the MSI motherboard OC Genie button, and all I got in response was "Don't use the OC Genie button", which was great advice, but didn't help me to understand how it functions.

I'm definitely down on the spelling/grammar thing (if you are trying to say "you are", then it's "you're", not "your"). My main concern is that I think people see it so much that they actually think it's the correct spelling.

I would list mine but the interweb ain't big enough to accommodate my post!

It bothers me when people ask what GPU to buy in order to max a game, and everyone gives them a choice which will max the game if you turn the shadows off and don't use AA. That isn't maxed out. At least tell people that is the setting the card plays at in your advise.

The other is similar, and that's when people give advice that gives 20-30 FPS, and considers that playable FPS. Granted it may be for a few, but a great deal of people suffer nausia at those FPS in a 1st person view. At least let people know that they'll be playing at that low of FPS.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
@dipankar - VERY TRUE. I hate fanboy battles. If you prefer a brand, then just state it "I prefer brand X, not necessarily for any one reason, but I prefer it", simple as that.

@mousemonkey - SURELY you must be able to list 1 thing? I'm interested to see what you don't like! : )

@Bystander - I hear ya. I take recommendations very seriously if someone wants a desired framerate or the ability to max out something. Like you, I do not consider "playing a game at a certain resolution at X FPS" maxing out 100%. Maxing out means EVERYTHING is turned on 100% in addition to the resolution AND a playable framerate. I get it if people have to stick to a budget and you want to give the best recommendation for the budget, but if budget's not an issue, then the best recommendation should be given w/out regard to price.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

I think that might have been directed at me :(

Wouldn't this thread technically violate the RoC right away because of "Posting off-topic posts in inappropriate forums."?

I'm going to shut-up for a bit now.

It wasn't, although I am now obliged to have a look at your post history to check and action as necessary! [:mousemonkey]

Technically yes but we don't have a forum for this kind of thread yet, but that may change with the "big change" that's a-coming.

AMW1011

Distinguished
How about the f&^king HUGE SOUND PLAYING ADVERTISEMENTS ON TOM'S!! Ad blocker doesn't even get the sound to some of them, IT STILL PLAYS. I shouldn't have to run codes to stop damn advertisements from annoying me on a forum. (Just blocked two more and needed to go through some codes on one AGAIN.)

And besides that, I agree with the OP.

I use FF and adblock, watcha talking 'bout Willis!

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
^Oh yea, that too. Seriously, I just slide my mouse cursor over some ad and it pops up and start playing jingles. Extremely annoying. Was a click-ad not good enough?

I'm with you 100% on #3. One of the main rules we learn in technical writing is that if it takes excessive effort to read, people won't read it. So if a thread is full of all of those texting words (or even better, no punctuation) my eyes drift to the back button.

Pet peeves on the internets?
tripleaction50bmg1.jpg

We dont have no stinkin Pet Peeves

Thread hijackers make me kinda angry actually TEEHEE...

So do newcomers who just sign on here to get there question answered then don't ever sign on again. Oh and people who don't select a best answer -.-

I kind of thought the whole point of the forum was to help people. If a person is helped, why would he return if he's not able to help himself?

All questions are good questions, and many dont know the connections of components when they ask their questions.
If youve ever taken a kid fishing, you may have to bait the hook, cast or pull out the line for him, even set the hook and help real it in, and of course take the fish off the hook for them
BUT
the satisfaction in seeing the joy on the kids face is worth it, and maybe youve created a new fisherman, same with PCs, gaming and enthusiasts