Petition for New Newsgroup

Alan

I would like to request a new newsgroup, alt.cellular.pissing.contest, or
maybe alt.cellular.argument.clinic so "certain" people (whose names both
begin with "J") can take their arguments over there and leave this NG for
real information.

In <2uncgaF2d1r1iU1@uni-berlin.de> on Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:10:12 -0500, "Alan"
<alan@erols.com> wrote:

>I would like to request a new newsgroup, alt.cellular.pissing.contest, or
>maybe alt.cellular.argument.clinic so "certain" people (whose names both
>begin with "J") can take their arguments over there and leave this NG for
>real information.

This is your idea of "real information?" If you are serious (and not just
hypocritically adding to the noise you're complaining about:), why not go
ahead start such a newsgroup, as I did when I started this newsgroup.

Alan

> In <2uncgaF2d1r1iU1@uni-berlin.de> on Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:10:12 -0500,
"Alan"
> <alan@erols.com> wrote:
>
> >I would like to request a new newsgroup, alt.cellular.pissing.contest, or
> >maybe alt.cellular.argument.clinic so "certain" people (whose names both
> >begin with "J") can take their arguments over there and leave this NG for
> >real information.
>
> This is your idea of "real information?" If you are serious (and not just
> hypocritically adding to the noise you're complaining about:), why not go
> ahead start such a newsgroup, as I did when I started this newsgroup.

Not to continue this on, but here I am anyway...

1. I didn't complain about noise, per se- just the argument threads that go
on and on incessantly.
2. Where would you suggest I post a "real" petition for an alternate
newsgroup that deals with a similar topic? alt.tv.the-west-wing?
2a. If I thought the two involved would actually start using a new group
instead of this one, I would request one in earnest.
3. I was joking in the hopes that the participants would see that they are
being foolish..
4. I am surprised that one of the persons involved bothers to argue with the
other one, who is clearly a troll. As someone once said (I don't know who it
was), "Who is the bigger fool: the fool, or the person who argues with the
fool?"

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message
> I would like to request a new newsgroup, alt.cellular.pissing.contest, or
> maybe alt.cellular.argument.clinic so "certain" people (whose names both
> begin with "J") can take their arguments over there and leave this NG for
> real information.

I have an easier solution: block both of 'em!

Alan

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote in message

> "Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to request a new newsgroup, alt.cellular.pissing.contest,
or
> > maybe alt.cellular.argument.clinic so "certain" people (whose names both
> > begin with "J") can take their arguments over there and leave this NG
for
> > real information.
> >

> I have an easier solution: block both of 'em!

I don't want to do that, because there is often real information. It's just
when they start with each other.

In <%Rvhd.2835$_3.33761@typhoon.sonic.net> on Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:09:47 GMT,

>In <2uncgaF2d1r1iU1@uni-berlin.de> on Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:10:12 -0500, "Alan"
><alan@erols.com> wrote:
>
>>I would like to request a new newsgroup, alt.cellular.pissing.contest, or
>>maybe alt.cellular.argument.clinic so "certain" people (whose names both
>>begin with "J") can take their arguments over there and leave this NG for
>>real information.
>
>This is your idea of "real information?" If you are serious (and not just
>hypocritically adding to the noise you're complaining about:), why not go
>ahead start such a newsgroup, as I did when I started this newsgroup.

1. If you do want to go this route, here are some resources to get you
started:

http://www.alt-config.org/
http://nylon.net/alt/newgroup.htm
http://www.gweep.bc.ca/~edmonds/usenet/good-newgroup.html
http://www.visi.com/~barr/alt-creation-guide.html

2. Another option is to filter out posts from particular individuals in your
newsreader.

In <2unk8tF2bn0gjU1@uni-berlin.de> on Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:22:53 -0500, "Alan"
<alan@erols.com> wrote:

>4. I am surprised that one of the persons involved bothers to argue with the
>other one, who is clearly a troll. ...

1. Conventional wisdom notwithstanding, my experience with Usenet is that
ignoring trolls and bullies actually tends to encourage them, and can result
in a newsgroup being effectively destroyed. OTOH, when consistently
challenged they usually give up eventually, although it can take a
considerable period of time.

2. I put a fair amount of work into creating this newsgroup, and don't want to
just let it be trashed.

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup:alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; "Alan" <alan@erols.com>
* Date:Tue, 2 Nov 2004 04:20:18 -0500
* Subj:Re: Petition for New Newsgroup
A> "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message
>>> I would like to request a new newsgroup,
alt.cellular.pissing.contest, or
>>> maybe alt.cellular.argument.clinic so "certain" people (whose
names both begin
>>> with "J") can take their arguments over there and leave this NG
for real information.

>> I have an easier solution: block both of 'em!
>>
A> I don't want to do that, because there is often real information.
A> It's just when they start with each other.

Phillipe aka Jack Zwick aka at least scores of other aliases is a
confirmed and well known NG troll among all of the cellular groups.
Blocking him is a tenuous option at best. That's why he changes
aliases so often. The best you can do is ignore him. You can tell his
posts from "real" posts if you know what to look for. Hint: it will
always be a complaint and it will always be controversial. His
opinions are usually FUD and lies.

--
Jack

Alan

"Jack D. Russell, Sr." <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote in message
> * Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
> * Newsgroup:alt.cellular.cingular
> * Reply to: All; "Alan" <alan@erols.com>
> * Date:Tue, 2 Nov 2004 04:20:18 -0500
> * Subj:Re: Petition for New Newsgroup
> A> "Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.thanks.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Alan" <alan@erols.com> wrote in message
> alt.cellular.pissing.contest, or
> names both begin
> for real information.
> >>>
> >> I have an easier solution: block both of 'em!
> >>
> A> I don't want to do that, because there is often real information.
> A> It's just when they start with each other.
>
> Phillipe aka Jack Zwick aka at least scores of other aliases is a
> confirmed and well known NG troll among all of the cellular groups.
> Blocking him is a tenuous option at best. That's why he changes
> aliases so often. The best you can do is ignore him. You can tell his
> posts from "real" posts if you know what to look for. Hint: it will
> always be a complaint and it will always be controversial. His
> opinions are usually FUD and lies.
>
> --
> Jack

I didn't know about the aliases. Thanks.