Petition to Build Death Star Prompts Hilarious Response from White House

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I'm sure Apple would sue them anyways had they built one. Looks too much like an apple logo and I'm sure violates at least 850,000,000,000,000,000 patents.

techseven

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
"Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?"

hahaha didn't see that one coming :D

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Maybe not as radical as a death star, but to save some money to construct a larger Space Station which can house 50-100 people, maybe a little less. Something that can protect against deadly radiation, that we can grow a small "Farm" on to see how that works. Create a habitat.

Maybe they are working on something of that sort as we speak, but the only way forward - is up.

A death star though is pretty dumb imo, the cost, the purpose? the many hundreds of years required.. naw.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
"Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?"

I haven't seen any one-man starships lately

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I don't normally bitch about late news here, but jesus THG. This was on MSN.com, the DEFAULT home page for Internet Explorer 3 days ago and you're just getting around to posting this now?

Rather than simply dismissing it, the White House surprisingly released an equally cheeky response titled "This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For."

And as usual THG did zero fact checking or research which is odd since they've had at least 3 days to do so. The reason this petition wasn't "simply dismissed" was because a response is required for any petition that receives at least 25,000 signatures within 30 days, which this petition achieved. This was bumped up to 100,000 today.

There's been a much. Erm.... "saner"? Proposal out for a while. Regarding building the enterprise in 20 years for a trillion dollars.

www.buildtheenterprise.org

One "crazy" star trek fan? Who happens to be an engineer? With sources? Maybe. Maybe over rating the "motivation" of it looking like the enterprise. Maybe costs aren't even close. But then. If his numbers check out, or are even close, we'd be kind of crazy not to.

Obviously no phasers or warp, and the question of actually looking like the enterprise is a Lil Iffy. But a massive mobile space station that takes care of all our transportation and exploration needs in our own solar system? And planning to actually DO something with NASA? I'll bite.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Maybe not as radical as a death star, but to save some money to construct a larger Space Station which can house 50-100 people, maybe a little less. Something that can protect against deadly radiation, that we can grow a small "Farm" on to see how that works.[/citation]

Yeah so the rich people can escape the earth they destroyed by their greed while the rest dies, sounds like a good idea =) Yupp we are heading that way!

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Yeah they are sarcastically joking.... Why would we need something that big?....the bases on the Moon and mars are more than adequate for "us"

jaws32

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
if it's true.$850,000,000,000,000,000 is surely can make two other liberty statue 5 white house and maybe 2 tajmahal and other with great cost...

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
We need a new petition for the construction of a one man starship, just in case Russia decides to go with the Death Star. If cost is an issue, then maybe we can steal a Gould ship and just slap a USAF sticker on it.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Maybe we should completely shift direction and try to build an SDF-1 then. It had no problem fending off countless swarms of 1-manned starship attacks. I'm sure area 51 has the alien tech that crash landed on Earth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.