[SOLVED] PFN_LIST_CORRUPTED and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSoD Errors

1Poseidon3

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017
Hello Windows 10 community.
Earlier today, my computer froze while playing Civilization V and when I restarted it, I got the BSoD error PFN_LIST_CORRUPTED and then my computer automatically rebooted. When it tried to start up again, I got the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error instead.
I cannot boot to Windows 10 no matter what I try.
  • I have booted into a portable version of Kaspersky Disc Rescue and scanned my C: drive for malware which turned up nothing.
  • I have run CHKDSK /R twice now and it claims to be fixing things but the computer never boots properly after.
  • Whenever I run an SFC /scannow, it runs and scans fine but at the end it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested action" and doesn't do anything.
  • I am unable to restore to a previous restore point even through the command prompt.
  • The Windows Automatic Repair does absolutely nothing.
  • I am also unable to reset my operating system. All of these options provide me with vague errors saying that it can't complete the action for one reason or another.
  • Restoring the BIOS to default values has not fixed the problem either.
No information I have found online has been helpful in fixing my PC. Most guides assume I can boot into Windows but I cannot.

CPU: i7 6700K Skylake 4.0 GHz
GPU: ASUS STRIX 1080ti 11GB
RAM: G.Skill 16GB 3000 MHz
C:/ SSD: Mushkin PILOT - 500GB PCIe NVMe M.2
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3

Sorry for the poorly formatted post. I can't get any dump/log files since I can't even boot to Windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at a total loss. Thanks!

EDIT: I just completed another CHKDSK and every time I have run a CHKDSK (including this time), it has said "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required." but it still doesn't run properly.

Solution
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

need to make it on another PC. It creates a bootable USB and It runs at boot so no need for windows for it to run

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

need to make it on another PC. It creates a bootable USB and It runs at boot so no need for windows for it to run

Solution

1Poseidon3

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017

I decided to just reformat and reinstall Windows 10 since it was long overdue, I had too many programs on it and I'm getting new hardware soon anyways (new CPU and mobo) so it's fine. It's a shame I lost some of my files but it happens. I appreciate the reply and I hope this helps someone else in the future although I certainly hope no one has to go through the hell that I did with this problem. I'm just glad it wasn't my M.2 SSD or that would have been an expensive fix. If I encounter this problem again, I will attempt this solution as well. Thanks again!