Question pfSense | PBX | Windows and Linux servers | Fiber optic connection. Modifying and understanding existing network.

Floods7

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
I am tasked with helping a friend with their network at a business he owns. His previous engineer that setup this network apparently lost his marbles and his mind and no one can get a hold of him. So he asked me to help build a new network but at the same time not knock out their existing network.

Please look at attached diagram, as it was easier for me to draw it than it was for me to type it and explain it.

I need to build a network from the ground up, but until it is up and running everything else must work. He has a PBX server setup to handle their VOIP system (I have very minimal knowledge) 2 Dell R210 Servers running ubuntu, one handling the cameras and the other handles files and SQL. What is the smartest way to start this project. My thoughts are, get a new firewall (I bought a USG PRO 4) connect it to a switch and slowly move the servers over to the new network. Problem I am having is that whenever I plug the USG PRO 4 into the fiber modem (MRV os606) I do not get internet access nor do I get internet access when I plug it into the Linksys router. If I plug my laptop into the MRV modem or the Linksys switch I get the ol 169.254.x.x. address. What am I missing here? Shouldn't I be able to get some kind of internet access when plugged into the router or switch. I guess the modem could be in bridge mode but I cant get access when i plug into the Linksys router that is feeding internet to the PBX server and the Dell server running pfSense?

I have been trying to gain access to the MRV os600 modem but I cannot find its IP.

I would like to plug the USG PRO 4 into the MRV Fiber modem or the Linksys initial switch and start a new 192.168.1.x network and starting building that network from there while the other 192.168.9.x and PBX networks are still up.

Any info would be helpful.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry, but this type of thing cannot be worked through in a Forum like this. There are dozens (hundreds?) of questions that need to be asked and answered, in both directions. Before the first dollar is spent.

Basic things like: (don't answer these)
What wiring already exists?
How many devices?
What does this company do?
What else besides the 'phones'?
What type of phones?
What is the overall budget?

That's just a basic start.

This absolutely needs knowledgeable boots on the ground.
I, or many other members here, could spec out a full replacement network, that could be moved over in a weekend.
That requires $$$ and actual investigation.

You turn yourself into the Project manager.
Hire a local actual network engineer, who is recommended by someone else.

Sorry, but you cannot do this. Not in here, anyway.

Floods7

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
Watch the colorful language, please. No f-bombs. Thanks.
Thank you for replying. I knew that was the answer I was going to get lol.
His business is shut down because of the virus but the phone system is still in use. He does not have enough money to hire an actual network engineer so he is going to have to make due with my services. He knows this and I made it quite clear to him.

I have a degree in computer engineering, focused hard on hardware architecture, high and low level programming languages and theoretical aspects of computer science. We didn't touch much networking but I have picked up enough skills on the fly to do basic things like VPNs, file sharing, NAS devices, domains, things like that. So hopefully with a little help or a push in the right direction with forums help plus online materials I can slowly make this work.

If you guys don't want to waste your time cause I am not an actual network engineer, I understand. However, im trying to help a friend out. Plus if I ((Edited by moderator)) up the network then I don't have to worry about slowing migrating things over, I can just easily build it from scratch. Building it from scratch would be no issue, I'm just trying to work within this network that was previously built.

If I could have one question answered it would be why cannot I get access to the MRV modem and why cant I get internet access when plugged in the the Linksys switch or modem. I know its cause I'm not getting a ip from the DHCP server, but how is that possible when the DHCP server is a layer lower than the linksys switch? I would I go about plugging a firewall into the MRV modem and getting it to access the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Floods7

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
It's not a question of us out here not wanting to waste our time. Its more a matter of wanting to get you and him to an actual solution that works.

I hear ya. I explained to him I had a limited understanding of netowkring but he said just do your best. So even if it takes me a few weeks and I only learn one thing at a time its better than nothing.

Floods7

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
can you give me some things to look at? I know the pfSense is the DHCP for the 192.168.9.x network. Is it possible it would tell the modem or router what private addresses to give out?

Why am I not able to access the MRV os606 modem? What should I look for? How would one go about finding the address of the MRV device?