PG279Q is it worth it (worth asking again)?

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
So I notice that this question has been asked multiple times but now that it is January and a brand new year has come about, I too am looking to upgrade

As everyone here is most likely aware the ASUS PG279Q has received some bad reviews for the following issues
- IPS GLOW
- Blacklight bleed (also known as BLB)
- Dead pixels
- Poor handling of RMA (some RMA's resulting in customers returning almost 3 monitors one after the other due to the other 3 issues)

The reason I ask this question again as it has seemingly cropped up quite a bit is because, I live in Ireland, there is not 1 store in Ireland that sells this monitor, this makes the closest dispatch location the U.K. which makes RMAing a dodgy monitor rather difficult.

Another reason is, I have used a TN monitor for 10 years and have grown accustom to no back light bleed or IPS glow, in fact my Dell monitor (while very small at 19") has served me well but lacks both the color depth i want for photo editing and the refresh rate I would like (anything over 75Hz would do), so taking a leap from a TN monitor with no flaws to an IPS panel with a high chance of IPS glow or even worse issues seems like an awful gamble to me.

Why do I want a new monitor? - I had replaced (a Dell XPS710 (10 years old) my PC at the early part of 2016 and with it 2 GeForce GT 980Ti's were part of the new system, but they seem to be rather underutilized with my Dell 19" monitor. The monitor is 19" and I want more

Why am I asking these questions, surely reviews should be sufficient? This monitor has quite a bad rep, but if I could be convinced that the issue was related to a bad batch then I may be willing of parting of 1,000 euros to get a monitor that would last me 10 years, under the assumption that at a 1,000 euro price tag I would be getting what I pay for.

Why has this monitor drawn my attention specifically (basically why have i been obsessing about it) This monitor seems to have performed quite well on tomshardware reviews but seems to be getting destroyed by customer reviews, tomshardware has rated this monitor as "For its unique qualities, excellent build and top-shelf gaming performance we’re giving the Asus PG279Q our Editor Recommended Award.", which is conflicting given customer reviews, in matter of fact it is heavily contrasting, which is causing me a huge amount of anxiety. How could tomshardware recommend a monitor so highly when some many customers have complained.

Surely you understand the monitor lottery?
Not really, there is an expectation from big companies like asus, acer, benq to deliver hardware that meets certain quality controls and standards, this should not be a lottery but an expectation. Either the technology is wrong or the manufacturing processes are wrong and either way some type of "watchdog" should have/be created to insure customers get what they pay for all the time and not once after 4 RMA's

This almost sounds like a rant now, So to drill down to the point of this thread.
I want to be convinced that buying the PG279Q is worth it. If the community feels that they cannot achieve this (because my expectations are too high or the lack of guarantee from the vendor for a good monitor) then I would like the community to advise on a monitor that meets the following requirements.

- Great color reproduction
- Reasonable Refresh rate (greater than 75Hz)
- greater than 24" monitor (For having reference images open while I draw using a drawing tablet on Photoshop)
- prefer IPS unless someone can convince me color on a TN is still reasonably good now a days
- Utilizes my GT 980Ti's
- I am really on the fence about gsync or free-sync, considering i have 2 nvidia cards, I don't know :(
- Is less than 1,000 euros

Whats the purpose of the monitor?
- Gaming (Battlefield, World of warships, Assassins creed, Civilization VI) NOT PRO GAMING
- Photoshop
- Watching Movies
- Cubase (music production)
- Overall, just general purpose
I know all the above may seem like I am asking for a lot, but unfortunately I cannot go through the heart break of several months of arguing with companies over the quality of their monitor and the transport costs to get a monitor RMA'd from Ireland to UK, USA or Germany

I hope that someone could help me out here and forgive me for being such a picky son of ******

I would also like to see tomshardware actually update their best gaming monitors/ best professional monitors section if possible seeing as December saw the release of some new free-sync monitors etc.

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
So to give a rough outline of my research, the below sites were reviewed. Alot of reference to IPS glow, some people described it as "minimal" in which case I would ask, how much IPS glow would be tolerated from a 1,000 euro panel? (ignoring the backlight bleed)

Below is not an exhaustive list, but a general outline of customer reviews and how varied they seem to be.

• PG279Q statistics

Review stats Total 5 star 4 star 3 star 2 star 1 star
    Newegg.com 196 79 25 37 31 24
    mindfactory.de 49 40 2 3 n/a 4
    bestbuy.com 13 11 n/a 1 n/a 1
    ncixus.com 32 22 5 4 n/a n/a
    bhphotovideo.com 28 18 7 1 1 1
    scan.co.uk 34 28 3 1 1 1
    pcworldbusiness.co.uk21 17 4 n/a n/a n/a
    overclockers.co.uk 14 14

amazon.es 22 7 7 0 4 4

pbtech.co.nz 5 5 0 0 0 0

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I just bought an mg279q, the freesync version of the pg279q. I bought it locally from fry's so I could return it. Anyway I'm on my 4th monitor and it seems to be okay.

The first two had too much backlight bleed, I'd never seen backlight bleed on a monitor before (I've always bought premium brands).
The third had some backlight bleed(1/3 the amount of the first two), not enough to bother me, but would reset back to 60hz every 8 hours or so.
The fourth has a little backlight bleed(1/6 the amount of the first two), and seems to work fine so far.

None of the monitors had any dead pixels. I suspect the first two where from a bad batch, as I got the last two from a different Fry's (I live in LA, we have a ton of Fry's).

I might end up using the mg279q with an nvidia card, just I felt the $300 price difference for the gsync version would be better spent on a graphics card.

Also I think you are confusing backlight bleed with ips glow. Ips glow doesn't vary from panel to panel, whereas backlight bleed is a manufacturing defect caused by pressure on the panel (it tends to happen at the mount points) and can vary wildly from monitor to monitor.

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Hi MagicPants,
Thanks for the reply. From what you are saying, the issues regarding BLB seems to extend simply beyond the PG279Q.

I am still interested in gauging other peoples opinions. As I am still strongly considering the upgrade from a 19" TN Monitor (10 years old) to a 27" IPS panel.
If possible I would like peoples recommendations on something that falls within that category, but I would also like to hear about peoples experiences with these IPS panels.

Unlike some people who are quite fortunate to have access to stores such as yourself MagicPants, I am not fortunate enough to be close to any store that sells the PG279Q or the MG279Q and as a result I cannot compare, contrast or test these monitors out nor do I have easy access to RMA'ing a dodgy monitor, I guess living in Ireland does have its disadvantage. This is one of the big reasons as to why I am so insistent on gauging peoples opinions, why I keep coming back to ask questions and why I am incredibly picky. I am aware that from reviewing many comments over the last few months, that IPS glow is common place and as you noted it is different to the BLB, I am still however concerned as to how much of an impact IPS glow or BLB would have on the image showing on screen.

krells

Distinguished
Are you able to get Acer products locally? The Acer Predator XB271HU uses the same panel (and has the same issues) but might be worth it if exchanges are easier. I have the Asus pg348q and it does have some blb but luckily no dead pixels and it was able to reach 100hz with no issues so I was happy with it. From everything I have seen with the high refresh rate IPS monitors from Acer/Asus it is about getting a panel with an level of blb that is acceptable to you, I don't think I have seen anyone get a perfect example with no bleed.

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

after a bit of search, yes, there is 1 store very close to where I live that sells the model
http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/acer-predator-xb271hubmiprz-quad-hd-27-ips-led-monitor/335521/397.1.0

PC world in Ireland sell that specific model for
€929.99 = £808.13 = $982.58
from the looks of it, it is £178.14 more expensive than buying from Amazon.co.uk but is $172.59 (that's USD) cheaper than Amazon.com

Didn't really think about it, simply because it's a money racket to get any electronics in Ireland, considering that the price of getting the XB271HU from a local store is roughly the same price as buying the PG279Q from an online shop.....

**Update***
unfortunately after ringing them up i was informed that they don't have the item in their shops and only sell online. So I guess that rules them out.

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

After double checking "are you able to get Acer products locally" Answer = no, home delivery from some warehouse is the only way