Question PH67A-UD3-B3 rev1.1 No boot(sys lockup) with new RX 580 GPU

Sep 28, 2019
Ok, my old(current) setup: (working like charm, for years)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k
  • MB: Gigabyte GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 rev1.1 Bios: F9(latest)
  • 2x 1TB 7.2 RPM WD HDD
  • Total ram of 12 GB(1.6 GH), all 4 slots
    • 2x 1.6 GHz 2GB RAM
    • 2x 1.6 GHz 4GB RAM
  • PSU: Generic(green/local-OEM) 500W Gold (used to work with a 380W PSU without any issue, had to change it to the new one recently)
  • GPU: XFX Radeon HD5870
Recently, I just bought a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8GB Gaming GPU rev1.1, and I tried to set it up, no success.

System cannot boot(no any beep status codes)
All fans are spinning
No Screen
All MB phase LEDs on
Nothing happens!

I tried to remove 2 rams, plus no HDDs to check if it goes on boot, but no success! no effect.

Tried to power up the GPU with 6pin(instead of 8pin), no success.
Since my 500W PSU is 2 months old, all cables looks okay, but I cannot guarantee, but it works for current 2x6pin GPU.

I've searched the web too much, it seems it's belong to PSU(not significant power). Just wonder that I never experienced any issue with old 430W PSU with old/current GPU, how much power this RX 580 drain!?

I'm looking for find a well-known 850W PSU to check if I could run my gear, but I would like to make sure before I go for another purchase.

Is my MB compatible with this card? //Some people could be able to run RX 580 on the same board (https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Gigabyte-GA-PH67A-UD3-B3/607 ), so technically I should be able.

What are the possible issues would be?
Any comment is appreciated

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
There are a couple of things wrong with your system. One of which is running a generic fire strater'ish PSU. The other is mixing and matching your rams. Then there's the matter of introducing a GPU that is more power hungry.

Please don't use Userbenchmark. It only misleads people.

Sep 28, 2019
Please don't use Userbenchmark. It only misleads people.
So you are telling me the records are fake?!

I just hoped that my MB is compatible with this RX 580 card, so I go for next check list as GPU itself and PSU.

ABout my PSU, here is a local well known OEM, produces "High Power" PSUs (http://www.green-case.com/products/power/index.html), mine is a Gold 500W, no any single issue at all with my HD 5870(not just this 500W, the previous 430W used to work like charm for years)

Sep 28, 2019
Move ahead to 15:50 of this video for your answer.

Intel Core i7-2600k
Processor core Sandy Bridge
Thank you so much for your reply and link. Still am not sure it's about incompatibility, since have checked some dudes running this card with sandy bridge(and even same board)

Sep 28, 2019
So I still could not grab a good PSU to test if that RX 580 works, and recently had some search about 1660.
I'm not sure, but I might be able to take back my RX580 for a 1660 with a small $$$ (better performance and lower power draw, goo deal!)

So now i'm asking, if 1660 could be compatible with my Hybrid-EFI BIOS MOBO?
Does that 500W Gold PSU will be able to handle 1660 now?

Thank you so much.

Sep 28, 2019
OK, latest update, I found that RX 580 faulty, the seller accept to take it back in exchange with a new 1660 ti and some more $$$. I think it's good.

NOw the question comes again, do you think that 500W PSU will be enough for my setup?
I've checked my current GPU(HD 5870) come with 180-300 TDP, while this 1660 ti comes with less, so logically, the current 500W should work, am I right? any recommendation?

And about MSI, do you find it good brand for GPU? I've checked many questions and bechmarks, and seems it's working.

Any comment is appreciated