Phablets Are Here to Stay, Says Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
What can we say? Well done Samsung...you've got my dollars [and you'll continue to get 'em if you keep this up]. ...just make sure that Note 3 has no less than a 1080p screen and that thing you're calling an octacore.

"The funny emotion for me now is how small the (4.8in) Galaxy S3 feels,"
...this is so true. I have the S3 (as well as my beloved Note II) and as nice as the S3 is it just seems so...so...small. :heink:

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
More important, Samsung looks at what we like unlike other companies named after certain fruit that like to dictate that we should have a small screen.

G

@hoofhearted no one dictates what you have to buy!?!
Personally, I think tablets and phones have their place. If you can't afford both, then maybe its nice to have the extra screen real estate when your using your phone for things like video which would be better suited to a tablet but I can afford both so I don't want to have to try and fit / cart around an oversized phone in my pocket!

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
What the hell is with you people and quad/octa cores in phones?
The extra cores make no performacne difference whatsoever, but you seem to think otherwise.
Unless these phones are able to fold anytime soon, shut up about the cores.

halcyon

Splendid
@ DRH, your points are valid, however, my situation wasn't that I couldn't afford to have a phone and tablet it was that I couldn't seem to get the same high-quality experience that I had on the S3 in a tablet, believe it or not. I tried what, at the time, should have been the reigning king, the Asus Transformer Infinity. Nope. The Samsung tablets aren't attractive to me because the screens are too low resolution for what I've become accustomed to (iPads) and too plasticky for my tastes (see Asus Transformer Prime/Infinity or iPad for what materials to use to build a tablet). ...so the Note II is as good as it gets for me...for now. We shall see what the future holds.

[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]What the hell is with you people and quad/octa cores in phones?The extra cores make no performacne difference whatsoever, but you seem to think otherwise.Unless these phones are able to fold anytime soon, shut up about the cores.[/citation]Your immature-sounding comment aside, I feel that the most capable mobile processors are more future-proof than the lesser capable ones. I have not taken the time to research this (nor will I) so I could be mistaken. I have a car with more HP than I can use too...but I don't feel that it was a waste. ...back to phones, my Note 2 with its 6200 mAh battery lasts over 3 days (implying the standard battery would last over ~1.5 days) so it doesn't seem that having a quad-core is hurtful.

Further, who knows what capabilities the next version of Android might have or whether or not it'll be a better multi-tasker or make better use of parallel processing. This thing Samsung is calling an "Octacore" that they've just brewed up is pretty power-efficient so why not?

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]@ DRH, your points are valid, however, my situation wasn't that I couldn't afford to have a phone and tablet it was that I couldn't seem to get the same high-quality experience that I had on the S3 in a tablet, believe it or not. I tried what, at the time, should have been the reigning king, the Asus Transformer Infinity. Nope. The Samsung tablets aren't attractive to me because the screens are too low resolution for what I've become accustomed to (iPads) and too plasticky for my tastes (see Asus Transformer Prime/Infinity or iPad for what materials to use to build a tablet). ...so the Note II is as good as it gets for me...for now. [/citation]
You should try the Nexus 10. It blows any iPad, and pretty much any other tablet available as to date, out of the water.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Bah, I was rocking a 5" Dell Streak before large-screen phones were cool. Back then everyone was laughing. Now look at them... and I have a tiny Xperia Play! /phablet-hipster

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]CrArC[/nom]Bah, I was rocking a 5" Dell Streak before large-screen phones were cool. Back then everyone was laughing. Now look at them... and I have a tiny Xperia Play! /phablet-hipster[/citation]

Streak wasn't really bad per se. Probably mis-specced a bit here and there at lacking longevity but crucially the bigger prob at the time was that not even Dell were really sure how to game their Android strategy. FW/SW side sucked royally for Streak to have had any chance of gaining proper long term indie support.

IMO if Dell are up for it this time around (w/ necessary precautions of course) AND take just a bit more time (not too long though) to relearn product design flaws off the Streak on top of available tech today, I reckon that they can redo it very very well. the way Sony did w/ Xperia Z.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
These 6"+ devices are getting a little too crazy. I have the Note II and I love it but I'm tall and have big hands and can use it one-handed. Holding it to your face doesn't look ridiculous when you're 6'4". It just looks like a normal phone. But I have no idea how people are going after 6"+ screens unless you're an NBA player or don't mind using 2 hands (I guess the stylus plays into this).

I'll have to get my hands on a Note III when they come out and see for myself, I guess. As long as the bezels are thin on the sides and it's not too thick from screen to back it can still be a sleek device, even despite the size.

binary intelligence

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Why is the communications chip on a chipset still determining the market! This is driving me nuts reading blogs and comments. If you take of all these so called phones without the communications the markets we had before would be pmp, mp3 player, netbook, and laptops (or notebooks if your Dell). I get how everything needs to be "connected" but why can't the communications device take the backseat and the functionality of the devices dictate the market. That's how pc have improved so much and guess what my nic was not what dictated buying the mobo or proc or ram or hdd/ssd for my pcs.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Do people not use Bluetooth or earpieces anymore or something? I never put my Note II on my face to call. It kind of ruins the purpose of a multitasking Note II when you have it next to your face.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Hmm I'm on the fence with the phablet. They are great for screen, multimedia, typing and general OS use, but they are huge to put into a pocket or just hold onto. Let alone adding the bulk to it with a case. Putting these massive tablets against your ear seems silly. Granted they are more comfortable to use for non-phone related tasks compared to the tiny small iphone.

To each their own I guess. It comes down to how often do you use your smartphone for... Phone calls, or computing? Not to mention larger size sometimes means they consume more power.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I'm 6'2" tall with bigger hands but the Galaxy Note is just a little too big for me to hold comfortably.
4.3" is about as big as a screen can get and I still hold my phone to my ear.
I suppose if you don't mind using a bluetooth earpiece/ mic the larger screen would be nice, but since I'm wearing glasses they get pretty uncomfortable fast.
If people want 4.8" screens, more power to them, but its just not for me.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
@kingssman, The larger size mean larger space for a bigger battery. The note 2 seems to last forever compared to other phones. I have a note 2 and find the size perfect. My wife's s2 seems tiny compared to the note 2.
I find the larger screen superior for surfing the web or watching videos. This is by far the best phone that I have ever had. My blackberry and my wife's old iphone 4 were vastly inferior to the note 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.