[SOLVED] Phanteck P400A / Ryzen 3600 cooling upgrade advice

DownUnderFan

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Hi all,

I built my first PC about a year ago. I am now looking to upgrade the cooling on it and would like some adice. I am thinking of getting an AIO but am not sure on sizing or fan distribution.

My system is
Phanteks Eclipse P400A Airflow D-RGB
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Wraith Stealth
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC Motherboard
32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4
Galax GeForce GTX 1660 Super EX OC 6GB
Fully Modular 650W Power Supply
500GB M.2 NVMe SSD
2TB HDD
1TB HDD

Solution
Hi all,

I built my first PC about a year ago. I am now looking to upgrade the cooling on it and would like some adice. I am thinking of getting an AIO but am not sure on sizing or fan distribution.

My system is
500GB M.2 NVMe SSD
2TB HDD
1TB HDD

I would recommend an AIO 240mm top mounted dual rad with fan orientation drawing air from outside the case.

This would provide superior cooling compared to the Wraith cooler that you have however you have to consider the AIO cost for the 3-400MHz gain you may get. What...
Really, that cpu doesn't need a beefier cooler, but if you want to upgrade you can to basically anything.

Air coolers are better (quieter, cooler and cheaper) but an AIO looks better and is not that much worse.
So, if you plan on upgrading for the looks, get an aio.
If you want to upgrade purely for cooling, either don't or at worse get an nh-u12A from noctua, or a slim dark rock pro from bequiet.

Hi all,

My system is
500GB M.2 NVMe SSD
2TB HDD
1TB HDD

I would recommend an AIO 240mm top mounted dual rad with fan orientation drawing air from outside the case.

This would provide superior cooling compared to the Wraith cooler that you have however you have to consider the AIO cost for the 3-400MHz gain you may get. What I mean is this chip is hardly worth Overclocking taking in the value per performance gain. IMO

Solution

DownUnderFan

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

This would provide superior cooling compared to the Wraith cooler that you have however you have to consider the AIO cost for the 3-400MHz gain you may get. What I mean is this chip is hardly worth Overclocking taking in the value per performance gain. IMO

You're right about the limited return on the investment (part of why i didn't go this route to begin with).

As for top mounted AIO's the case dosen't support them, it lacks the clearance space for fans and a rad at the top