Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Airflow Improvements?

Sep 29, 2018
Currently got an i7-6700k @ 4.7Ghz w/ 1.36V and a Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme Gaming @ 1550Mhz w/ +15mV and am struggling a bit with temps in my Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX (Non-glass). The CPU is at roughly 85°C under 100% load and the GPU at 65°C.

I have two stock 140mm Phanteks fans at the front as intake, a H100i v2 at the top with Corsair SP120s (exhaust with gaps blocked off) and a Corsair AF140 at the rear as exhaust.

Any potential improvements to the airflow would be much appreciated as I don’t think it’s safe to run the CPU that hot.

Many thanks.

Solution
I have the TG version of your case, and taking the side panel off will not improve your temps by that much. I also have similar issues, a 3.8ghz overclock at 1.35v on a 1700X and i get 80C with a h100i V2.

I've found that moving the radiator to the FRONT TOP part of the case (so it's still on the top of the case, but MOVE it to the front as much as you can), improves temps. Since I figured out why the case is so shotty at temps.

With the radiator in the back or middle top of the case, hot air is pushed against the roof, then since there's no place for it to go, obviously moves to both sides, when the hot air moves to the front part of the case, it causes a tornado affect that only gets hotter and hotter as that hot air also gets...
I have the TG version of your case, and taking the side panel off will not improve your temps by that much. I also have similar issues, a 3.8ghz overclock at 1.35v on a 1700X and i get 80C with a h100i V2.

I've found that moving the radiator to the FRONT TOP part of the case (so it's still on the top of the case, but MOVE it to the front as much as you can), improves temps. Since I figured out why the case is so shotty at temps.

With the radiator in the back or middle top of the case, hot air is pushed against the roof, then since there's no place for it to go, obviously moves to both sides, when the hot air moves to the front part of the case, it causes a tornado affect that only gets hotter and hotter as that hot air also gets pushed by the intake fans back into the case over and over again. Pushing the radiator to the very front neutralizes this affect, then the air will go right into the rear exhaust fan and air will move all in one direction as it should be.

Hope this helps!

P.S I just did this to my rig, but I haven't stress tested my system yet. But what I can tell you is, my idle temps wen't down at least 2-3C.

Solution
Sep 29, 2018

I’m looking for a more permenant solution... not just a quick pop the side panel off. Thanks for the suggestion anyways :)

kanewolf

Titan

If your temps don't drop, then airflow isn't the problem. Taking the side panel off is an experiment to determine if you have diagnosed the problem correctly.

85c. is hot, but not dangerous.
The cpu will throttle or shut down if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
You really need do nothing.

What is your temperature at idle?
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient if the cooler is mounted well and all parts are functioning.

The simplest solution would be to replace the front 140mm 1200RPM fans with higher rpm fans.

Noctua makes some good ones, here is a 2000 rpm unit:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY4P65808

You can't win with radiator placement.
I like your current way best. It does use heated case air to cool the cpu which is not good, but your preserve the filtering of the front intakes and your parts stay cleaner.

Were you to reverse the setup, the cpu would cool better with fresh outside air intake, but your gpu and motherboard would then get the heated cpu air inside the case.

One reason why I think air coolers are better in a good case.

Sep 29, 2018

Ok I’ve tried taking off both the side, front and top panel off independently and it seems that the top panel is making the biggest drop in temps. (They all are)

TRENDING THREADS