[SOLVED] Phanteks PH-F140SP LED case fans

Jan 30, 2019
I have a Phanteks Ethoo Pro M Case, an ASUS Z390-A Mobo, and 5 PH-F140SP LED case fans. I've connected the fans' 3-pin plugs to mobo's fan headers. but I can't figure what the second wire (coming from the fan) is for, or what it connects to. So I wrote to CS and this was the response I received (verbatum):

The second wire you will able to connect the switch cable inside the fan's package and you will able to turn on of turn off the LED inside the fan .
Any help deciphering their response and resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

GangstaSlime

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Is the second wire directly connected to the fan or is it a separate cord that came with the package? It could just be an extension cord for the 3-pin cord.

As for the CS's response, I think they are talking about connecting the fan to the mobo (like you did) AND connecting it to a fan controller to let you adjust the LED or the speed. (I will say that I'm not super confident with my "deciphering" job :/ The CS person definitely doesn't fully understand your original question to begin with.)

GangstaSlime

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

If the fans work without anything plugged into the mystery wire, than it's probably an extra bay so that you could plug in a second fan (having 2 fans share 1 mobo header). It could also be a contact point for a fan controller.

ASK THE COMMUNITY