[SOLVED] Phanteks primo se riser card modification 3 slot gpu's ( Ideas Requested)

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Hello, Fellows I hope everyone is doing well, However, I do have a problem that will arise when the 30 series cards are released. The problem is with clearance, yes that's correct Clearance issues and no not with a clearance sale LOL. Nevertheless, I am going to be switching to a 30 series card due to the fact I want to get away from water cooling. Now the problem is I'm running a noctura d - 15 air cooler on a x299 asus prime edition 30 motherboard, now the issue is that with that cooler installed there's not enough clearance to install the any gpu in the 1st pci-e Slot. and with 30 series coming out I'll be switching to the 24 Gb 3090 at some point, I'm not sure if it's going to be at launch, I think I'm going to wait for bugs and testing results first, As the title has stated I have a Phanteks primo se and I know they make a riser card but that will not work for my needs., because in addition to running a gpu, I also run a rocket raid pci- e card and and a capture card, this is a problem with a 3 slot gpu and having clearance issues for the first pci- e slot. Now this case as the ability to mount a 140mm fan in the bottom rear or a power supply. There's plenty of clearance in the bottom of this case to run a riser card this way, however, they don't make a plate to mount the gpu to for this purpus, I'll post some pics as well to make it a bit clearer.

Pic of clear explanation

Solution
If you are new to cutting sheet metal / computer cases, I recommend maybe some computer modding on youtube.

Basic principles for marking out cuts:

1. decide where parts will end up
  2. mark cutting lines
  3. line edges with masking tape, use them as a guide when cutting
  4. de-bur edges with a file or sand paper

self drilling and tapping screws (a huge box, but you can get smaller amounts for about the same money at many retailers)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-Screw-1-lb-per-Box-369-Pack-116024/205142705

All you need is a power drill and those will make a hole and to a decent job of joining two thin pieces of metal together. You can file off the pointy ends when...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe just wait for AIB 3090s with custom coolers, probably someone will make a decent dual slot design.

If you already have the water cooling hardware, I would just do that again personally. Unless you have a hybrid GPU cooler?

Another option might be vertical mount adapters:

https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-ph-vgpukt-02-black/p/N82E16811984028?item=N82E16811984028

You could try this in there, might solve the problem since you seem to have 8 slots in the main part of the case. Or hack that bottom part of the case up and stick it in there.

You might also consider getting PCIe extension cables for all your smaller cards and mounting those cards in the bottom instead of the GPU?

Reactions: HaizRail007

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
the 3090 is going to be a 3 slot card, so that riser wouldn't work either way. the asus prime edition 30 should of been a e atx not a atx, moreover, the D-15 air cooler on the cpu is the issue. Moreover, my 2080 Ti is the gigabyte arous Water block edition, and even that card can't be mounted in the first slot with that air cooler installed, it's installed in the second slot, it's a two slot card so that wasn't much of a issue. but the 3090 is a three slot, so I can't install the capture card or rocket raid card with that gpu installed. so back to my question, does anyone make a plate that converts the psu/fan plate to a riser plate for a 3 slot card. if I have to get something crafted any idea for blue prints would be great. my goal is to get away from water cooling, and go back to strictly air cooling. the bottem of this case as plenty of room for a modification but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The stock Nvidia design, sure, we haven't seen what others will come up with.

I would try and place the GPU where it will fit, then use cables for the other cards, they will require less structural support, etc.

As for mounting a 3-slot card to that adapter, you are already talking about modifications, just cut that up and use it as the base for your mount, and you get the riser cable out of the deal. For $40 it will make a fine template if nothing else.

If I had to, a dremel cutting disk, or even a full size cutting wheel since this is fairly large work. Or a drill and a hacksaw to make cuts, depends on your familiarity with various tools. This is not hugely strong sheet metal.

Myself I would mark the opening you want to make, make sure to overlap the metal where you want support, and drill/tap, and or use self drilling and tapping screws to join the two parts. Even some heavy duty 3M double sided tape would probably hold it if applied well.

Another cheaper solution would be to replace the CPU cooler... I know you want to get away from water cooling, but this is a good situation for it. But a smaller CPU cooler won't hurt too much I would think. Some decent towers of power that are a little slimmer then the D15, look at be quiet! high end would be my suggestion.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are new to cutting sheet metal / computer cases, I recommend maybe some computer modding on youtube.

Basic principles for marking out cuts:

1. decide where parts will end up
  2. mark cutting lines
  3. line edges with masking tape, use them as a guide when cutting
  4. de-bur edges with a file or sand paper

self drilling and tapping screws (a huge box, but you can get smaller amounts for about the same money at many retailers)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...-Screw-1-lb-per-Box-369-Pack-116024/205142705

All you need is a power drill and those will make a hole and to a decent job of joining two thin pieces of metal together. You can file off the pointy ends when done.

You can also get 'sheet metal' screws. You will have to drill your own hole then.

Solution

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
your defiantly giving me some ideas that's for sure. I know a smaller cooler would work, but a 7960x is a bit of a beast on heat, I had it under water but the damn cpu block warped ruined my asrock board, and now I'm making payments on a prime board. Water cooling is great until it's not and I don't want the hassle no more. Once I get this 2080 ti out of the system all the water will be out of the system.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
I'm a little familiar with metal cutting with a grinder. The more and more I look at the case and the way riser brackets are created, it looks like I can remove the psu/fan metal plate of this case and make a L bracket , and drill holes in and line those up with the factory holes in the case use nut's and bolts to secure the L bracket and then use the phanteks bracket or something similar, bolted up to the l bracket, or maybe take a peace of metal and a welder to create a bracket, that would mount up to the factory screw holes, that would allow me to mount the card without a gap, so it would be flush with the back of the case. I like the ideas you've stated and it's given me some good ideas.

Last edited: