Question Phanteks pwm how best to connect to motherboard

dunkelzahn

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
What is the best method to connect the fans?
Should I connect PWM to CPU_fan and actual CPU fan to PWM?
Can I go with CPU fan to CPU_fan and PWM to say pump_fan1 and keep them separated?

I really don't want super loud 100% RPM by connecting the sata power.
Should I trust the PWM module over direct connect to the cpu_fan port the CPU fan?

Thank you.

Here are my components below.
Component Selection
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Based on the information from MSI manual: sys fan1 and 2 along with sys_fan3 and 4 are default DC mode connectors.
The CPU_fan and pump_fan1 are default pwm mode connectors.

My Phanteks pwm has a sata power connector and 6 fan connectors (3 pin) and a 4 pin connector to connect to cpu_fan.

Information From Phanteks website : http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro.html#manual PDF English page 31: http://www.phanteks.com/assets/manuals/PH-ES614P_Western.pdf
The PWM hub functions optimally when modulated by a PWM signal from the motherboard, which will allow the greatest control range. However, not all 4-pin motherboard connectors implement
the PWM signal modulation.
[I understand that cpu fan should in this senario be connected to the white fan1 connector. But that connector will be of the 4 pin type not 3 pin type]
Connecting the 4-pin to CPU_FAN
For full PWM functionality, Phanteks’ PWM hub requires users to connect the 4-pin connector to the “CPU_Fan” connector of the motherboard,
because all motherboard manufacturers implements a PWM signal modulation on this connector. Connect the SATA 12V power to
power the PWM hub. Not all motherboards have their CPU_Fan connector set on PWM signal modulation by default. Please consult your
motherboard documentation for this matter.

Connecting the 4-pin to other 4-pin header (besides the CPU_Fan)
Other 4-pin connectors can be found on modern motherboards besides the “CPU_Fan” connector (e.g. “CPU_Fan2”, “CHA_Fan”, “OPT_Fan”),
however not all motherboard manufacturers implement a true PWM signal modulation onto these connectors. These type of 4-pin connectors
modulate the RPM by voltage, which has a smaller control range compared to modulation by true PWM signal.

The 12V SATA power cable can not be used to power the PWM hub if connecting to these types of 4-pin connectors, due to the interference
with the RPM regulation by voltage (resulting in the fans running on full RPM). The PWM hub will draw its power from the 4-pin connector,
which is limited to a total device consuming 30W in total.

Important Note:
1 motherboard connector can only read 1 RPM signal. Therefore, the motherboard will only read the RPM signal from 1 device connected to Fan 1. The RPM form all
other devices will be regulated according to FAN 1. Y-splitter should not be connected to FAN 1.

ASK THE COMMUNITY